Only 1 can go caving at home: Eldon Pothole Club

alastairgott

Sad times, I know of only one person who can go caving from their own home (or under it) and that?s Mark Noble of the eldon.

Will he or won?t he?  :confused:

PeteHall

I have been considering digging a cave in the garden. Living in a clay area, I'm unlikely to encounter any natural cavities, but it would be good exercise and an excuse to pull on an oversuit and wellies

ZombieCake

I might look for the monsters hiding under the bed.  It's quite low and I'll have to move the storage boxes around a bit, so a parallel for a Mendip dig.  Only problem is I don't have an ice axe so could get a bit awkward.

Joe Duxbury

ZombieCake said:
I might look for the monsters hiding under the bed.  It's quite low and I'll have to move the storage boxes around a bit, so a parallel for a Mendip dig.  Only problem is I don't have an ice axe so could get a bit awkward.

And you need to be careful with flares.

Dickie

Sad times, I know of only one person who can go caving from their own home (or under it) and that?s Mark Noble of the eldon.

So, it's all round to Mark's - oh, wait....

Rob

If only it could be live streamed, then we could all watch it whilst rolling about in a cold muddy bath and get the fix we all so desperately need!

AR

I do have a lead in our pony field in the soakaway pit I dug a couple of years back - I got down into the karst, scraped the loess out of the gaps and covered it over, and it's taken all the water this winter has thrown at it so it's clearly draining pretty well down to Knotlow. Chances are the streamway is nowhere near big enough to crawl down though, so I don't think I'll be trying to push this one! :LOL:

Tommy

Rob said:
If only it could be live streamed, then we could all watch it whilst rolling about in a cold muddy bath and get the fix we all so desperately need!

You're welcome to just do the second part anyway.

Mark

Yes he will.

The plan is to pump water from a nearby culvert into the cave, (Pump on site already) wash all the fines away over the airspace in front and bag the lumps up.

Will keep you posted.

Rob

Great news! It would be funny if the only Peak News reports in Descent during this plague are from Eyam  :clap:

PeteHall

Sounds like it'll be the only news report...

No pressure Mark, but you're quite possibly representing every digger in the country!

owd git

cavemanmike said:
I've got a well in my kitchen, I might go down now and then for a bit of a workout

Beware co2 buildup!!! I fell (stupidly) foul (intended pun) of such in the well @ clay workshop in Ashbourne a couple of years back.
not too deep, 8 M. borrowed a clipper lighter at the top to test air. worked half way.
at the bottom thought the lighter was faffing about. tried many times then twigged on to the reality  of very little oxygen!
This post suggests i got out, I can tell you all it was a little worrying, and bloody stupid  a mistake to make. keep safe!
O.G.

Mark

No danger of bad air, the draught is quite spectacular.
If I knew how to post a video I would.

pwhole

'Noble Swallet' has a nice ring to it. Funnily enough, the latest PDMHS Mining History is specifically focused on the old mines of the Eyam area, and it's arrived just in time for self-isolating - though typically I've read most of already. How do you read slower? It's always puzzled me. Anyway, good luck with that Mark - it would be ironic if you had a massive breakthrough into immensity and then couldn't do anything as you needed ten others to help. A socially-distanced dig sounds a bit of a contradiction in terms really. At least you won't break the rules for gatherings just yet.

Maj

Mark said:
No danger of bad air, the draught is quite spectacular.

Does it match the draught we had before and after we connected Hobnail Hole to Thrupe Lane Swallet?

Attachments

• Draught Bag reduced.jpg
    Draught Bag reduced.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 145

PeteHall

Mark said:
Easiest thing is to bung it on YouTube and then post a link into the forum. It should automatically embed the video.

The next question would be how you live-stream it on a Wednesday night for all of us who can't go digging , but no idea how to do that!