Marton Arms - closed?

dunc

I've heard the Marton Arms has closed and it's not known if it will reopen or not...

Anyone have any further information on this?

Jude

It closed last Sunday night, we went along for a last pint (or few). A great shame. No idea if it'll re open or not.

oldboy

got this message from one of the regulars today ....

heard today from a reliable source that a management team is being put in to run the place for the next 6 weeks - although it was not clear when they would be arriving.

Hope so .... but sad to see Sue leave, she had rescued the place from the depths.

caving_fox

What a shame. That had long been a landmark favourite pub. Seldom got the chance to got here, but much appreciated it when I did.

Anyone know why? its always looked busy when I've been there, including only a couple of weeks ago.

Burt

That's a great shame. Only been in it once but stayed the night, and recall it had a most excellent range of single malt whiskeys.

oldboy

caving_fox said:
Anyone know why? its always looked busy when I've been there, including only a couple of weeks ago.

I was told locally ....
The owning company had increased the
rent to an unsustainable level and more or less forced the landlady to
default on payments. ....

Greedy Bast...ds! 

dunc

me said:
"Remind me to avoid them."

Then we will get more favourite pubs closing down
If Enterprise increase rents like that then prices will have to rise and thus people will avoid due to the cost factor! I'm surprised we have any favourite pubs left with cash grabbers like them.

droid

Not casting doubt on oldboy himself, but the info he's posting is at least 3rd hand, and rumours abound in a situation like this.

Still sad though.

I had many a good night in the marton.....I think. :confused:

crickleymal

Twas ever thus. I remember Courage (I think it was Courage) doing that to one of my favourite pubs in Warwick in the mid eighties. Not quite to the extent of forcing the landlord to close but pretty damn close.

Laurie

Happened with my local.
Grand Metropolitan increased the rent by ?10k a year for three consecutive years.
It was closed for two years and reopened, under new ownership, as an expensive restaurant.  :(

paul

I remember a documentary on telly a few years ago about pub chains. It seemed to be standard practice that if a pub chain wanted to get rid of a tennant they simply increased the rent until they were forced to leave.

RobinGriffiths

Noooooooo.

Was brilliant place. Tons of pump ale, plus female staff trundling from the kitchen asking 'is yours a seven or a twelve incher love?' (whilst serving pizzas of course). Always used to stay at Mrs Moffat's under the viaduct, and the return journey was usually more notable than venturing out.

Of course the Bridge went a while ago as well.

What's the Hill like these days ? Last time I was there it had turned into a foody pub.

Les W

I don't know what any of the usual pubs are like nowadays, I'm never able to escape from the Helwith to find out.  :beer:

barrabus

RobinGriffiths said:
What's the Hill like these days ? Last time I was there it had turned into a foody pub.

I presume you mean The Hill Inn in Chapel-le-Dale.

They are still very friendly at 10.30 on a Wednesday night if you pop in for a quick pint or two and a bag of peanuts. No complaints about grubby faces when I've been there. It's very quiet there then but as you suggest they probably make more money from food earlier in the day.

JasonC

barrabus said:
RobinGriffiths said:

I presume you mean The Hill Inn in Chapel-le-Dale.

They are still very friendly ...

- and squeeze competitions through the cartwheel of a Saturday evening are not entirely unknown  :)

droid

Just don't get stuck like a mate of mine did about 30 years ago.

The landlord was not amused.  :LOL:

Steve Robinson

oldboy said:
Said company called .....

"Enterprise Inns"

Remind me to avoid them.

Me and the good lady had a lease with Enterprise about a decade ago... They're a nightmare to work with and don't give a toss about their Tenants or, Customers. Would rather chew my own arm off than go into business with them again :)