SRT Books

A

andymorgan

Don't know if its the best but 'Alpine Caving Techniques' by George Marbach has been recommeded to me by a few people.

Andy Sparrow's book has a good section too and his video (Cave Safe 3?) is highly recommended. (Now how about my comission Andy :wink: )

cap n chris

.. Surely the clue is in the question?

I don't think there are any SRT TRAINING books. There are plenty of books outlining SRT techniques but there isn't a "Do It Yourself" SRT guide to my knowledge.

As an SRT reference book Alpine Caving Techniques is the best of the bunch IMHO.

Yes, it is Cave Safe 3. I didn't realise Sparrow was offering commission!

Les W

Dave Elliot published two books both titled "SRT", some years ago.

One was a rigging guide for the more popular Dales caves (lets not restart the red bolt debate here :) )and the other was a reasonable intro to SRT techniques.
It was easy to read, dealt with stuff in a simple manner and was not full of advanced or alternative methods. As an introduction it was superb and is sorely missing in todays publications.
There are moves afoot to try and produce something to fill the gap, but in the meantime perhaps you can find one second hand, on ebay, or perhaps borrow one from a friend. Before you ask, I don't know where my copy is. :(

Oh, you tell them apart by the colour of print on the front cover, one is white the other is red. I can't remember which is which but I'm sure somebody else will help out here.

AndyF

I'd say save money on a book, and go on a course. For a small extra outlay you will learn far more than a book can convey.

You life depends on what you know and learn, and the lives of others.

You'll also have a really great time doing it, with feedback about what works for you accountingfor you build, weight, fitness etc. These factors affect things like cowstail lengths, which a book can't.

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
chriscastle46 said:
Single Rope Technique: a training manual. Dave Elliot 1986, but not significantly out of date.

But out of print. :cry:

There used to be a website (I think it was produced by a UK caver living in Australia) that I felt covered the topic very usefully when I first learnt SRT a few years ago. Have a quick google and you might save the cost of a book. On the other hand Alpine Caving Techniques is extremely comprehensive possibly too comprehensive for a novice.

cap n chris

emgee said:
There used to be a website (I think it was produced by a UK caver living in Australia) that I felt covered the topic very usefully when I first learnt SRT a few years ago. Have a quick google and you might save the cost of a book. On the other hand Alpine Caving Techniques is extremely comprehensive possibly too comprehensive for a novice.

"Vertical" by Al Warild. IIRC it had some interesting stuff on ultra lightweight solo techniques, using a single rope and spools of fishing line/nylon string to replace the rope for ascent.

Online version here:
http://www.caves.com/Intro.pdf

D

darkplaces

Can we please have cave safe on DVD, some of us are that young we dont have VHS any more.
Alpine Tech book by the french blokes is fairly good.

D

darkplaces

*makes a muffled 'whooo hooo' :D

Have made an event on DP for SRT practice (sore subject I hear while I was away  :spank: ) at the WCC hut on the 29/30th july, usual suspects just me and joker001 so far but I hope to get a few more interested, I said bunging some money to honesty box would secure plenty of abuse and encouragment as we dangle. Mind you I bet it rains now :(  :mad:

T

Tree Monkey

The Best book has to be the one written by Dave Elliott, They have a few left in Bat Products in Wells. : :eek: ;) (y)