Club trip to Banwell Caves

Andy Hebden

The club trip to Banwell Caves is happeneing on sturday the 17th of June.

We've 2 caves to visit, the bone cave where the famous victorian stacks of prehistoric bones can be seen then onto the stalctite cave. The caving is fairly easy, no special kit needed, just a boiler suit, helmet and lamp. Also we need to remember our BCA membership cards as the land owner needs to see them as proof of insurance.

The plan then, if the weather is good is to go to the beach, or perhaps Lanslip Quarry in Cheddar Gorge for a BBQ, so bring a throw away BBQ and some food!

No restrictions on numbers for this trip so it would be good to see lots of you turn out.

Contact me if your coming. My details are in the club journal.

andy h

Dani

I think it is fair to say that a good time was had by all.  Not entirely sure who went in the end, but there were a fair few of us and it was a nice day out........

The merry crew assembled on the old tennis court and sat around in the sunshine waiting for Andy S to turn up (in his fancy new car!)  Once we we'd finished catching up on the gossip and cooled down a bit from the exertions of getting changed, we managed to make it into the Bone Cave

For those of you that haven't been, it's a cave full of old bones.  Quite an impressive wall made from prehistoric bones (Andy H can fill in the details - my sieve for a brain hasn't retained much more information about it, sorry).  Other than that there isn't a great deal else to see, but we had a quick nose around ruby chamber (get me with the proper names!! - I think I've been hanging around with you proper cavers for too long), sat round and chewed the fat for a bit, then thought we ought to move and see the other cave. 

A quick trot around the garden brought us to the stalactite cave.  It took a bit of a fiddle to get the gate open (but luckily there was no need to assist it with bodily fluids).  Once inside we headed on down the cave; progress being nice and easy due to the handy steps.  A quick photo opportunity at the Bishops chair (The club chairman surrounded by his harem) and then down into the stalactite chamber (avoiding all the off-limits bits).  The two chambers were impressively sized, although Liz was very disappointed in the complete lack of pretties and is petitioning for the cave to get its name changed.  A slightly uninspired group of cavers then headed back out into the sunshine. :confused:

Once we'd got all this tedious caving out the way  ;) it was time for the main event.  Gary kindly hosted a BBQ and the evening was whiled away with caving tales, limericks and trampolining  :clap:

Thanks to Andy H for organising the trip (I thought it was great, thanks) and to Gary for his hospitality and providing the trampoline  :D    I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did and I've got some photos of the cavey bits if anyone wants to see them