Avens in New Goyden pot

Goydenman

Numerous times when taking people around New Goyden they look up into the large avens and ask me 'have they been climbed?'. Each time I say 'I assume must have been' but so far not found any records of people climbing them.
So this year a couple of us are determined to go and have a look for ourselves.

Has anyone seen any records of people climbing avens in New Goyden pot?

Pitlamp

It was the same in Peak Cavern's entrance chamber (The Vestibule) a number of years ago. Everyone "knew" all the avens had been climbed but no-one could say what was at the top, or quote any reference (other than isolated Puttrell writings). So we had a systematic effort to climb them all, finding various new passages in the process. Several certainly hadn't ever been climbed before.

It's the only way to be absolutely certain - the important thing being to publish the findings. Otherwise, a decade or two in the future, cavers will be asking exactly the same questions!

Goydenman

Pitlamp said:
It was the same in Peak Cavern's entrance chamber (The Vestibule) a number of years ago. Everyone "knew" all the avens had been climbed but no-one could say what was at the top, or quote any reference (other than isolated Puttrell writings). So we had a systematic effort to climb them all, finding various new passages in the process. Several certainly hadn't ever been climbed before.

It's the only way to be absolutely certain - the important thing being to publish the findings. Otherwise, a decade or two in the future, cavers will be asking exactly the same questions!

As a Guide at Peak cavern we often talked about those avens but did not have the skill at that time to climb them. Good to know they have all been systematically explored. We will write up what we find thanks.

pwhole

Pitlamp said:

You're not wrong there, seeing as it's you I'm usually asking...;)

Pitlamp

If it's owt to do with me, it's usually written up - somewhere. (Unless it's still classified information of course . . . .    ;) )

Wren

A few years ago, we tried to climb the small avens in the Planetarium, up on the left as you enter.  We found a lot leaves and debris but no obvious way on.  A very long time ago I tried to climb above the upstream sump, again nothing obvious.

Goydenman

Wren said:
A few years ago, we tried to climb the small avens in the Planetarium, up on the left as you enter.  We found a lot leaves and debris but no obvious way on.  A very long time ago I tried to climb above the upstream sump, again nothing obvious.

Thanks Wren...that is Astronomers passage. Having climbed into it and followed to the end did you also climb either of the two avens in there...neither are bolted. I too have climbed above the upstream sump and all leads seem to close down but diggable