caving clubs in cornwall?

benshannon

Hi there,
In a couple of years I shall be moving to cornwall. currently I visit regularly because of family around the bude area. Is there much in the way of caving? any clubs? I was wondering if when I am in the area if there are any clubs I could join for trips?

Thanks

Keith P

Hello Ben,

If it's mining you want then try finding out about Cornish miners through Aditnow. If you are after caving then the two main clubs in Devon and Cornwall would be  Devon Spelaeological Society or Plymouth Caving Group both have websites so just google them.  most caving in the area takes place in South Devon ( Torbay - Buckfastleigh - Chudleigh axis)which is a good one and a half hours drive from the Bude area.  Please PM me if you have any problems getting in touch with contacts.  Regards,  Keith P

tamarmole

Plymouth Caving Group are active in the Tamar Valley (mines) and Buckfastleigh (caves) area with occasional forays into darkest Cornwall and the odd up county trip.

Devon Speleo Soc, based in Buckfastleigh mainly caving in Devon, Mendip and elsewhere.

There are a number of mine exploration groups in Cornwall.  They are fairly fluid as they keep falling out with each other and amongst themselves.  It's a Cornish thing.

There is not a great deal around Bude, although there are some Antimony mines between Padstow and Bude which may repay a look.

Bratchley

tamarmole said:
It's a Cornish thing.

I wish I could agree but you just have to look at South Wales to see that Cornwall might not actually be that bad...

Plymouth Caving Group are probably your best bet (they even venture outside of the South West!). Devon Speleo Soc are pretty quiet IMO.

mudman

Bratchley said:
tamarmole said:
It's a Cornish thing.

I wish I could agree but you just have to look at South Wales to see that Cornwall might not actually be that bad...

Plymouth Caving Group are probably your best bet (they even venture outside of the South West!). Devon Speleo Soc are pretty quiet IMO.

Well, I'm a South Wales caver currently caving with the DSS. Nice bunch and not at all quiet IMO. Lots of individuals caving and digging as well as weekly club organised trips.

Ed

Bratchley said:

Must be a Brythonic thing

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Ed said:
Bratchley said:

Must be a Brythonic thing

Just learnt something, diolch  :)

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Brythonic-languages