Need a short bit of conveyor belting

Pitlamp

I'm after a piece of thin (fairly flexible) conveyor belting, 16" to 18" wide.

Length ideally 5 ft but could probably get away with a shorter piece. Needed in the Dales, hence posted in this area of the forum (as it's probably easiest if sourced locally).

If anyone can help, please could you send me a PM?

Thanks.

The Old Ruminator

We get ours from a local food factory as they replace belts regularly. We have spare but unfortunately its here in Somerset. Try a local food type factory. Old belt just gets dumped.

Pitlamp

Thanks OR - another forum user has PM'd me with a suggestion of someone local who has some. But if that doesn't work out, any chance I could arrange for a piece of your stock to make its way north via caver post? (It's a bit sort of out in the sticks up here in the Dales; we don't have any food factories nearby.)

PaulW

i'm at the wessex this weekend and 3 4 Aug and have a mate going to YSS Aug bank holiday if you need it :)

Pitlamp

Thanks for your offer PaulW.

O.R. - if you have some kicking about, are you likely to be passing Upper Pitts this weekend?

estelle

i have some of same food factory conveyor belt in my garage which we've intended to use for our dig. Could definitely arrange to get to Wessex by 3/4 Aug weekend if not this one if you only want 5ft cut off as we're not going to need the full length we have.

Pitlamp

Thanks for your kind offer Estelle!

Tell you what, don't cut any off just yet; there's still a possibility I can source some round here - and O.R. may have a bit. But I may come back to you before that 3/4 weekend.

(I wonder if Maj is coming up to the Dales around then as well; if he's got room he may be willing to help by fetching a bit of belting up for me.)

andrewmcleod

Alternatively I could pick it up on the 3/4th August from Estelle and take it back to Ingleton it that's easier.

Pitlamp

Blimey - what a helpful lot you Mendip cavers are!

I just had another message separately, which makes me hopeful I can source a piece of this belting locally.
So, as with my reply to Estelle, I'll get back to you if it proves that your involvement would be useful.

But - thanks, all of you, for your efforts to sort me out.

The Old Ruminator

Mrodoc was handling the supply our end. He lives in Chard and knows folk in the Oscar Meyer factory there. I think Estelle had some from us and I cant remember what was at the Wessex. I have not got any though there may be a part role in Reservoir Hole. Hope it sorts out.

Pitlamp

Thanks all - looks like I'm sorted (locally) after all. Should have the stuff tomorrow evening!

This topic has thrown up a useful bit of information though about food processing factories disposing of conveyor belting regularly. I'll have to wrack my brains for the future about potential sources.

mrodoc

It is quite extraordinary.  These 20m belts cost ?900 each. If they get slightly nicked they have to be thrown out. I have had 3 rolls so far and liable to get more. It is flexible enough that you could make Swaygo type bags out of it if you could heat weld them.

Pitlamp

Just to confirm - I've now been given what I need.

But I really would like to thank those folk who have clearly done their best to help me (above).

SamT

The stuff I've aways used in Derbyshire comes from the spar washing plants and quarrys,  Thick black stuff.  again, always miles of it being discarded.  Surely there are a few quarries up in the Dales or across in (dare I say it) lancashire

Pitlamp

Yeah - I used to have a contact who worked at one of the quarries and there was conveyor belting galore for man and dog. You're right; it'd be useful to set up another similar contact.

You can mention LANCASHIRE as much as you like!      (y)

ILT

Also, don't discount actual belting suppliers/vulcanisers. Most of them do fitting which can also include removal of the old belt material for disposal.

AlexR

Great read this!
So I'm currently fighting a little with sticky mud that appears capable of creating more suction than a black hole between the digging tray and ground. That and we've just dug over two nice edges, so that'll become an absolute arse. I've been advised that food conveyor belting would solve that problem. Getting the stuff to the dig may be a little challenging though, certainly out again.

@OR or any other knowledgeable people:
How many meters of the blue/ food style conveyor belting do you estimate one could fit into e.g. the larger Warmbac tackle sacks? Their 100m rope one, I'd say roughly 35L.

PeteHall

Roll it up and cable tie it. Tie a rope handle on if you need to move it far, but don't wreck a tackle sack for nothing. I doubt you'd want to carry more than 3-4m in one roll.