River Tamar Area Caves or Kayaking

ZombieCake

Hi,
Does anyone know of any very easy kayaking areas on the River Tamar (likely to be based near Gunnislake, near Tavistock), or nearby?  I've one of the reasonably OK inflatable ones.
Also are there any easy caves or mines nearby, or are drivable to? Either show cave type things or fairly straightforwards as the people I'm with aren't into darkness.  I also have a sneaking suspicion they might think I'm a bit mad (OK, a loony) for liking caves and suchlike.
Cheers for any info.

mikem

Depends how soon you're going, as big surf is forecast on south coast next few days & high tide is early / late at moment.

tim.rose2

Assuming suitable weather / tides etc...

Great launching spot under the Tamar bridges at Saltash.  Free car park and road side parking - plenty of it and a few slip ways to choose from.  We've used the one approx. 100 m north of the road bridge in a small car park.  There's also public bogs underneath the bridges should you want them.  From there you can paddle round into the Lynher estuary or North up the Tavy or Tamar.  There are tides and mud particularly north of Cargreen in the Tamar.  A bit of care is needed to make sure you don't get stranded in mud flats with a falling tide.  Trips over a high tide are recommended though you'll have no issues launching whatever the tide at Saltash.

A couple of fun trips
- Saltash to Forder - about an hour each way.  Must be high tide to get up the creek to Forder.
- Saltash to Calstock - about 3 hours each way, set off 3 hours before high tide as there are strong currents higher up the river.  Or just go North up the tamar until the tide turns - it's obvious if you're north of Cargreen!
- Saltash to Lopwell Dam - about 2 hours each way (use the tide)

Bit further afield...
Looe - couple of miles of harbour / estuary to paddle in.  Very pleasant but needs to be over a high tide to have some water!
You can park at the town car park by the bridge, or at Hannafore seafront and then paddle around into the estuary.  There is the island as well but obviously needs very calm seas in an inflatable.  Be aware of sharp rocks.

Roadford Lake - a certain level of Bulls**t required as its a reservoir and they love some rules; online booking, disclaimer forms, ?8 to launch, but is safe water and very pleasant once the nonsense is overcome.  See their website for details.

Bit further still (but a cracking place to paddle so worth the extra drive)...
Dart estuary - park at Stoke Gabriel and head down river on a falling tide.  Can do there and back over a low tide - about 2 hours each way.  You'll struggle to launch at Stoke G at low tide but it doesn't take much water either side of a low to be usable.  Car park at Stoke G gets busy.  We've always launched between 2 and 3 hours either side of low tide and never had any issues. 

Caves - Radford Cave at Hooe is the nearest I know of.  I'm sure others better acquainted with Devon's caves can advise further though.  Well worth a visit but you do need to obtain a key (DSS have always helped me out). 

mrodoc

Kitley caves at Yealmpton are worth a visit too.  If you want a nice quiet estuary to paddle on then the Erme is for you. About 40 mins drive from Plymouth. Launch at Mothecombe  coming from Plymouth direction. Best done on a rising tide as the water levels get a bit low at low tide. No villages or towns there and hardly any houses.  Great scenery. If you paddle in the Newton Ferrers direction there is the old smugglers cave of Bugle Hole behind Battisborough Island and in the other direction towards Bigbury there are some big sea caves including one linking two beaches.

tamarmole

The Tamar is tidal below  Gunnislake weir so build that into your calculations.  Above the weir is controlled by a fishing consortium who take it as a personal insult if you dare to even look at "their" water.  The best launch points on the tidal section of the Tamar are Calstock (Pub and fantastic ice cream shop), Cotehele (National Trust Tea room) or Halton Quay on the Cornish side.  A really nice trip would be to set off upstream from Calstock on a rising tide and then when the tide turns come down of slack water/falling tide, getting back to Calstock for an ice cream.  On the English side Weir Quay and Bere Ferres are good launch sites, again bear the tide in mind.

Lots of mines around Gunnislake, although if you don't know the area finding the right ones can be an issue.  There is a tourist mine at Morwellham which is unfortunately currently closed (so not much use for you) and the staff laid off.  Lots of fantastic surface walks around Gunnislake all of which take in mine sites.  I would recommend visiting the surface remains at Devon Great Consols where there are the remains of a very fine arsenic works and within easy walking distance of Gunnislake.

If you like biking I would recommend the Tamar Trails which cover much of the woodland of the Devon bank and are family friendly.  Bikes can be hired from the Tamar Trails centre which is roughly in the middle of the trail systems

ZombieCake

Hi,
Thanks very much for all the information and ideas, most appreciated.
Shame about the Morwellham mine and the people being laid off.  If it's the one I think it is I went there a couple of years back and the trip is actually on a mine train.

tamarmole

ZombieCake said:
Hi,
Thanks very much for all the information and ideas, most appreciated.
Shame about the Morwellham mine and the people being laid off.  If it's the one I think it is I went there a couple of years back and the trip is actually on a mine train.

Yes it is the one with the train.  I was the mine manager (technically still am to the middle of next month).

ZombieCake

Oh crap. Really sorry the hear about the Morwellham mine, and everyone involved. It was a really good visit, and the warm welcome and narrative on the train ride sticks in the memory.
I'm now a little bit embarrassed to have mentioned it now I know what's happening.
It will be a crying shame for the future if this and other things fold completely and such heritage and education is lost.

tamarmole

ZombieCake said:
Oh crap. Really sorry the hear about the Morwellham mine, and everyone involved. It was a really good visit, and the warm welcome and narrative on the train ride sticks in the memory.
I'm now a little bit embarrassed to have mentioned it now I know what's happening.
It will be a crying shame for the future if this and other things fold completely and such heritage and education is lost.

I wouldn't worry - business closures are a fact of life under the "new normal" (hate that phrase).  Was the guy who drove your train a portly chap with a large beard?