Former show caves in the Dales

scurve

This has probably been asked before, but which caves in the Dales are former show caves?

Off the top of my head:
Yordas
Skirwith
Bruntscar
Weathercote

Any others?

al

I always thought that Holme Hill (interesting through-trip where the Dales Way crosses the Ribble near Far Gearstones) might have been a show cave because of the gate.

langcliffe

langcliffe said:
Bean Pot, apparently.

Further to that, an extract from Ged Dodd's web site:

"July 3rd 1891. Craven Herald - Ingleton's Physical Features No 3 by Rev R. V. Taylor. Two caves have recently been opened on Storrs Common .... Two caves have been recently opened out, and the debris removed to render them available for visitors. The lower cave (Lost Caverns) goes down, down, down by several series of as yet rudely cut steps into still lower regions, it is supposed, about 140 feet below the upper cave. It is narrow, and in some places the rocks approach low enough to compel the visitors to crouch and to endanger the crown of the hat or head unless due care is taken. They are wanting of stalactite formations to make them attractive. "

Ged goes on to say that the caves were sealed off in 1898.

scurve

Yes, I really should have remembered the show cave with a Black Rose history.

The top of my head don't seem to be full of information no more.

mikeapp93

al said:
I always thought that Holme Hill (interesting through-trip where the Dales Way crosses the Ribble near Far Gearstones) might have been a show cave because of the gate.

It was yes.

It's a welly filler now!