BCA MEMBERSHIP CARDS

NASIR

In the words of a person on the zoom call this morning I?d like to put it on record I?m absolutely appalled at the prospect of losing our BCA membership cards. Many a time I?ve *mistakenly*  pulled it out instead of a debit card and sparked a conversation about caving.

You want people to be able to sign up via clubs as I can fully imagine university students not being bothered to do both. So if possible signing up by the end of the year should yield cards being sent round. Heck make it opt in if you really want. I?d pay ?10 for a galvanised steel BCA membership card. Or just keep membership numbers + name on them and leave out the expiry date, that way you can avoid sending loads every year

I just think they are a nice touch and we should keep them as part of the cavers arsenal

thehungrytroglobite

Completely agree. I would certainly pay for a galvanised steel card - a real asset to my personal caving store. I too am absolutely appalled by the recent AGM (although I must say, what appalled me most was the severe lack of representation of minority groups here).

I support Nasir's argument regarding membership cards and although to be honest, i could breathe without them, I respect that they mean a lot to him and as a fellow caver I think these are an important thing to have especially when they are so important to uni cavers. A real sense of identity can be granted by possession of these cards.

My phone is on 1% so I'm leaving now. Hope the BCA reps enjoy drinking port with their fellow middle aged white male friends. Wonder why caving is struggling as a sport amongst younger people?

Because it is highly INACCESSIBLE to women, people of ethnic minorities and other marginalised groups including those with a dependency on galvanised steel which we must respect.

Much love,
A xoxox

ILoveCaves

The BCA has a DUTY to look into Galvanized Steel as a replacement.
The hot dip galvanizing process, iron and steel components are heated to the temperature of the galvanizing bath, of about 450?C. With this in mind, many an epic decent such as Titan and Brewery Shaft could be undertaken using the card to act as an alternative rack. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before and i am SHOCKED and APPLAUD by the idea cards will be phased out, and alternatives such as this not considered. What is the point in the BCA anymore?

#NotMYBCACard
#FreeTheGreenCard

2xw

I wouldn't worry about the cards, Rostam tried to get rid of them a while back for environmental reasons and the proposal was surprisingly unpopular. Apparently some people find them essential for cutting cheese and defrosting wind screens

Pitlamp

Could someone tell us what this is really about? I had to work right through the weekend just gone so I ended up not having time to read through the various proposals and wasn't able to "attend" the AGM. I'm slightly alarmed by the idea of not having a membership card because mine's come in very useful over the years, to reassure landowners and farmers that we're responsible enough to cover them for liability issues. There are show caves where you need to be able to show your card to gain access beyond the public section.

Sorry, I've come at this cold so not really sure what it's all about.

Pete K

Nothing is happening with the membership cards. At one point in the discussion about membership classes it was suggested that BCA could once again look at reducing its plastic impact and moving to card based cards, but the discussion quickly moved on.
There is no change to membership cards.

PeteHall

Wessex sends out a sticker with the new expiry date each year. If you need a new card, I think you just tick a box on the renewal form. Seems to work well, but I guess for something like BCA with insurance against it, land owners are more likely to be reassured by something that looks less like it could have been forged...

At the end of the day, we all have so many plastic cards, and use so much more disposable plastic every day, that I genuinely think that the environment impact of a BCA card is so small it's not worth worrying about. Let's fix the bigger problems with our lifestyle first!

Pitlamp

Pete K said:
Nothing is happening with the membership cards. At one point in the discussion about membership classes it was suggested that BCA could once again look at reducing its plastic impact and moving to card based cards, but the discussion quickly moved on.
There is no change to membership cards.

Thanks for your reassurance Pete. I seem to remember a lighthearted and entertaining topic on here a while ago about cards' uses. But the cards do serve a useful purpose and I'm pleased they're not seriously at threat.  (y)

ZombieCake

Metal cards would be good.  Then they can have useful things built in such as a bolt spanner sized cut out and a bottle opener.  A bit like what you get on those 'survival card' type gadgets, but more cave specific.

2xw

ZombieCake said:
Metal cards would be good.  Then they can have useful things built in such as a bolt spanner sized cut out and a bottle opener.  A bit like what you get on those 'survival card' type gadgets, but more cave specific.
[/quote

Ooo I like that. Your bca membership card comes with a literal Derbyshire key

pwhole

Well with a 13mm, 17mm and a 19mm head at least, and a bottle opener, this card is going to end up looking like some sort of fighting star. Though that could come in handy.

Years ago some Sheffield nightclub venue gave out stainless steel membership cards for the first batch, and they became so desirable I was able to sell mine for twenty quid a few years later, even though you didn't actually need membership cards to get in - even when the steel cards were issued. It was just a pose, but it made sense to some I guess - Sheffield Steel and all that - though the toilet cistern lids must have needed replacing occasionally from all the scratches.

2xw

That's interesting Phil I had no idea the cutting of fine cheese was popular in the Sheffield nightclub scene. Is that why Niche closed down, too many punters going Emmental?

.... I'll stop now

crickleymal

pwhole said:
Years ago some Sheffield nightclub venue gave out stainless steel membership cards for the first batch, and they became so desirable I was able to sell mine for twenty quid a few years later, even though you didn't actually need membership cards to get in - even when the steel cards were issued. It was just a pose, but it made sense to some I guess - Sheffield Steel and all that - though the toilet cistern lids must have needed replacing occasionally from all the scratches.
What we're you doing with toilet cistern lids for heaven's sake?

ZombieCake

I think the 'cisterns' may relate to the unique way Columbian marching cheese used to be served.  It apparently has a very fine crumbly texture, hence the need for a shiny smooth service.
If metal cards are awkward then Victorinox make a thing called a 'Swiss Card', a plastic credit card size thing containing scissors, a pen, a knife, etc. and some have a torch.  If you swapped the knife for, say a CSCC key, then you have credit card sized instant cave exploration ability.

al

It would have to be a pretty big card to contain a hex pattern which would get you into the 210!!

And ... in a previous existence, I was led to believe that "cutting the cheese" was how Australians referred to flatulence in polite company. Can ya tell what it is yit??