DIY scoff bag

JoshW

Is there a guide anywhere online for how to DIY a scoff bag?

times are tough and the commercially available flotation devices are far too dear.

chunky

Joe Daniels had a couple of successful attempts at doing this, would be worth dropping him a line.

Pitlamp

Jarvist Frost had a photo-guide online explaining how he cannibalised an old toilet seat ABLJ to make one. https://jarvbites.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/scoff-bag-mini-wing-bcd-from-recycled-ablj/

Benfool

I personally use one of these

https://www.diveequipmentco.com/products/deco-sidemount-bladder-22-with-hose-inflator-and-dump-valve

Had it down to -75m without issues. Unless you know somebody in the States you'll need to pay for international shipping and import duty.

I know a few people who are using Apeks WSX-25 wings and they seem pretty good. I picked one up from Just Apeks for very cheap (?30) so might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they have any available. Say you're CDG and they'll might be nice to you!

B

PeteHall

Crossed posts with Pitlamp, but will post anyway as I've written it. Looks like we are both advocating the same method...

To be honest Josh, I think it will probably be cheaper for you to start with a cheap/free second hand bcd, rather than starting from scratch.

If you get a horseshoe shaped bcd, you can take the bladder and just cut off the side without the inflator fitting,  roll up and stick the cut end with a bit of Aquasure. Then make yourself a canvas bag the right size and stuff the bladder in. Job done.

If you want to start from scratch, as above, but you'll need to find an inflator fitting and you'll need to buy a dry bag for the bladder. Unless you have the bits already, I'd be sure it would actually work out more expensive than bastardising a cheap bed.

JoshW

woah quick responses!

Thanks all. Looks like I'm back to my plan of waiting for someone I know to be over in the states and buy one of the wings Benfool has linked to.

IanWalker

some very useful posts above.

this old thread might be of interest

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=6821.0

Duncan Price

maxf said:
10l msr domedry bag, no outer bag

Can be used vertical or horizontal

As Max says: Take a 6 or 10 litre MSR bag and fit an inflator (and dump) to it.  The bag is tough enough not to need a cover.  Tie some shock cord or tape and clip it to your lower back like a cummerbund.  Easy to don and doff.

Fulk

There was I thinking ?This is a lot of trouble to go to, to carry food underground? . . . then the penny dropped.

maxf

Duncan Price said:
maxf said:
10l msr domedry bag, no outer bag

Can be used vertical or horizontal

As Max says: Take a 6 or 10 litre MSR bag and fit an inflator (and dump) to it.  The bag is tough enough not to need a cover.  Tie some shock cord or tape and clip it to your lower back like a cummerbund.  Easy to don and doff.

I prefer the 10s as when they have a bit of air in them they aren't a silly shape, the same amount of air in a 6 turns into massive ball shape on your back

jcarter5826

i made an outer cover for someone couple of years back.  10 litre MSR with 1000 denier cover.  like Max says, better with a 10 litre.  less of a rugby ball on ones back.

https://jcarter5826.wixsite.com/johnshomebuiltstuff/msr-sidemount-wing

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 160
  • 20190826_112937.jpg
    20190826_112937.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 155
  • 20190826_112911.jpg
    20190826_112911.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 164

PeteHall

I put together a wing from an MSR bag a few weeks ago, but I've not made it a posh bag like that! That looks excellent  (y)

At maxf's recommendation, to keep the inflator a bit lower profile, I fitted it directly to the bag, rather than using the filling cap. I kept my fittings on the opposite side, so the (now redundant) filling cap is on the inside an less likely to snag.

Taking it one step further, I then cut off the spout from the filling cap and patched it up with some chemical metal and an old BCA card, so it is as low profile as possible. I've not had an opportunity to try it in the water yet, but it holds air, so I'm assuming it will be ok.

jcarter5826

Yes. The stock inflator elbow, mounted to cap, does stick out a bit. Not a deal breaker though. More a tank clacker sometimes. Some inflator elbows are lower profile than others. I think this one was a dive rite. Personally... I like buddy commando fittings.  They are abundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and usage of fingers