Eldon quarry box

Pete K

Probably moved by film crew, the system has not changed. Can you ping the DCA Access Officer an email so it can be addressed? Ta

benshannon

So I went to sidetrack today. The box is attached the the gate at the entrance to the track. But the paper sheet inside is soooooo wet its useless so I didn't sign in because I couldn't

Alex

I did not know you were meant to sign a bit of a paper when I went a year ago, I don't think it mentioned the need to in the guide book either.

benshannon

It's on the DCA website. But judging by the state of the paper and the lack of names I'd say it never gets done.

pwhole

I'm sure the last time I went it was a book - that was over a year ago though. A waterproof caver notebook on a chain would make far more sense - as long as it's not trashed by motorised lunkheads, which is always a possibility around there. Though the whole signing-in process is not necessarily Covid-friendly at the moment, really. How many cavers take their own waterproof marker pens with them? I guess it could be a stipulation. We could all get subdermally microchipped, which would probably be easier than this book in the long run - we could install proximity detectors everywhere, so no need for signing-in ever again.

We could chase up our unpaid hut fees easier too ;)

al

I'm in the process of replacing the book, pens and survey.

In the meantime, if you do visit Eldon Quarry and you can't find the box or the book and pens are missing or unusable, please drop an email to access@theDCA.org.uk letting us know your name, the date, and the name of the cave / mine/ dig etc you're visiting.

wellyjen

pwhole said:
We could all get subdermally microchipped, which would probably be easier than this book in the long run - we could install proximity detectors everywhere, so no need for signing-in ever again.

We could chase up our unpaid hut fees easier too ;)

The tinfoil hat folk reckon that the Covid vaccines are microchipped so Bill Gates can monitor and control everyone. Turns out it is actually the the DCA and TSG!  :LOL:

al

Alex said:
By the way, what's the point of this book?

It's a requirement which forms part of the access agreement between DCA and the Chatsworth Estate that we monitor usage.

al

Thanks to Ben Shannon for letting me know the new location for the letter box which holds the log book. It's on the gate at the start of Slitherstone Lane.

If the gate is open, the box isn't noticeable and you'll need to lift the gate over a sjort wooden post to get at the box - the key is on a chain which is attached to a rivet so that you can pull the key out, open the box and fill in the details of your visit.

I've replaced the old sheet with a new waterproof pad, and waterproof writing impliments. Please try to record your visit when you come to this amazing place.

Attachments

• LogBookLocation.jpg
    LogBookLocation.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Log Book Box.png
    Log Book Box.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 161