Tier 4 areas

mikem

Lancashire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire & Mendip / Somerset are all moving off limits tomorrow. North Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall & Dorset are becoming 3 & somehow Bristol & North Somerset are staying in that class.

Not sure if any other caving areas are affected (outside Scotland & Wales)

mikem

Which suggests that tiers do have an identifiable effect - more counties have now jumped 2 levels, than gone from 3 to 4. (All things being equal you'd expect everyone to move up one tier)

JoshW

mikem said:
Which suggests that tiers do have an identifiable effect - more counties have now jumped 2 levels, than gone from 3 to 4. (All things being equal you'd expect everyone to move up one tier)

I think the problem with being a lower tier than the surrounding areas is that people who's non-essential shops aren't open flock to your area. Horsham for instance was in tier 2 whilst areas just a few miles away had gone into tier 4, and town was absolutely heaving. I saw people I knew who'd come from tier 4 into the area, and I'm sure there were others. Anecdotal I know, but it's not an unreasonable suggestion that tier 4 areas should have had a buffer zone of tier 3 around it.

pwhole

Sheffield has gone from one of the highest in the country a few months ago to pretty low now - for a big urban centre at least. So the recent restrictions have worked here for sure. They're slightly going back up, but not by much. I don't feel we're being 'rewarded' by being kept in Tier 3, but clearly where folks are making a demonstrable effort, all other things considered, then the measures shouldn't be too draconian as it's unfair and counter-productive. Clearly something is different considering the numbers elsewhere. Maybe our excess of woodland means more people are meeting outdoors? I've never seen so many people out walking, even in winter, which is great really, as long as everyone doesn't bunch up.

I find it hilarious and sad in equal measure that folks would drive to a lower tier area for some 'non-essential shopping'. The clue's in the name.

al

Tiers and lockdowns are both about avoiding the main issue and hoping that if we keep our heads down, we'll get everybody vaccinated and it's "job done" (apologies for the Tory-speak). But in the time it takes to get vaccination to a level where we can start acting normally, new strains could appear, different problems could arise etc.

I reckon that all businesses should be allowed to operate, but they must do so in a covid-safe way - and there should be some policing of this. It might be simply click&collect, or it could be segregation, but we need to stop thinking that the end is just around the corner, and start working in a way where folk can earn a living safely. A realistic new normal.

MarkS

JoshW said:
I think the problem with being a lower tier than the surrounding areas is that people who's non-essential shops aren't open flock to your area.

Couldn't agree more. York has had problems with this when it was tier 2, and unsurprisingly covid rates have shot up. I know correlation != causation etc., but it's certainly going to have had a bit of a hand in it.

I know some of the guidance is pretty confusing, but it's pretty clear cut when it comes to leaving tier 3 & 4 areas: "Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary", and "You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area".

o_O

MarkS

mikem said:
The article mentions indoor gatherings, which suggests those visiting friends / relations rather than shopping...

I think this is gatherings in pubs and public indoor spaces. I don't think police have the resources to be checking on people visiting friends/relatives at their houses.

mikem

They can easily check where vehicles are registered, but it will mostly be meeting the same people, wherever they are.

badger

[
I know some of the guidance is pretty confusing, but it's pretty clear cut when it comes to leaving tier 3 & 4 areas: "Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary", and "You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area".

not sure the guidance says you cant leave a tier 4 area, all depends on why?

:

mikem

Tier 4 was supposed to be legislation, no idea if it is yet. All other levels are definitely guidance.

crickleymal

Certainly nobody in Gloucestershire seems to have changed their behaviour on us going into tier 4. They really ought to reintroduce lockdown.
I know someone who went into work despite his wife having a positive covid test. He only admitted his contact after an hour long meeting with two other people. He has now tested positive.  What an arsehole.

cap n chris

Oceanrower said:
Definitely only guidance.

There is no legal restriction on travel between ANY tiers whatsoever...

Exercise your freedoms or lose them. Anyone out and about today once the icy conditions thaw a bit? 

mikem

Although the statistics are showing huge percentage changes in areas like Gloucestershire & Somerset, it's because you're starting from tiny numbers of cases last week - chances are that many of this week's records were already infected last week, just not detected & the percentage  hasn't actually changed as much as it appears, but we'll only get a better idea when next week's figures are out.