Peak Cavern Films.

wellyjen

Andy and Antonia Freem have just released the latest film in a series they are making on the Peak/Speedwell system. This is of the Ink Sump project, by Jim Lister and others. Some impressive underwater filming, digging and engineering in a very remote location over many years of work. They've asked if I can put a link on UK Caving, so here it is.
https://youtu.be/KtZrf5QJY64

Their previous film covers the White River series, with SRT, lots of pretties and quite a bit of Derbyshire mud.
https://youtu.be/9drtTX4Zaqs

Enjoy!
Jen

Groundhog

Excellent films. Thanks for posting. It's a long time since I was in the White River. I am pleased to see that the formations have not suffered much. The Trenches are still just as muddy though!

Boy Engineer

Wow absolutely. Captivating. If I was wearing a hat, I would now remove it. Is there anything that armchair cavers can do to support this sort of endeavour?

alastairgott

Aquamole Jim! That video is fantastic, so good to be able to see the sump, hear you speak of the trials of getting through it and see the prospects of the sharp end.
I'm sure as soon as your allowed you'll be right back there.

pwhole

I must admit it's the first time I've ever seen any substantial video of either the sump or what's beyond it, so it's a real treat to finally 'get there'. Carrying a few tubes once or twice feels much more worth it now. Fabulous  :bow:

Excellent video Jim. Looking forward to seeing all your progress first hand once we are allowed to go diving again. It's nearly twenty five years since I last went through there.

chunky

Martin Wright said:
Excellent video Jim. Looking forward to seeing all your progress first hand once we are allowed to go diving again. It's nearly twenty five years since I last went through there.
Perhaps we should make a project of it. Would like to ge the camera gear through to do some documenting  (y)

pwhole

Talk to Jim about his plans to permanently drain the sump and then we can all go in and push it ;)

pwhole said:
Talk to Jim about his plans to permanently drain the sump and then we can all go in and push it ;)

There are precious few quality cave dives in the Peak District. Let's not destroy the ones we have.

Paul Dyson

Very Good Videos guys and girls, and a grand effort,
Been a long time since been into heaven, it reminded me how beautiful it was, thanks again

wellyjen

Andy and Antonia Freem have been working hard editing more pre-Covid Peak Cavern footage. Their latest film covers the "tourist" trip from the entrance to each end of Buxton Water Sump and to Far Sump, with a few diversions along the way. This one is edited and narrated with more of a general audience in mind, rather than a caver one.
They have asked if I can put it on UKCaving, so here it is. Something to entertain you for 20 minutes on a raw windy Sunday.

https://youtu.be/D26HYLK5sBw

Jen

pwhole

I'm relieved to see the hi-viz suits don't blow out the video. Very nice - glad it turned out so well in the end ;)

Pitlamp

Really good filming; well done to all concerned.

In the Peak film, at about 09:10, it refers to Upper Gallery as "Ecstasy Passage". I think this is wrong - the name refers to a tiny inlet tube on the north side, not the main Upper Gallery. Mark Wright can probably say if I'm right or wrong (as I have memories of him having a good go at pushing it, some considerable time ago).

This might seem unnecessarily pedantic of course - and in no way does it mar the film, which I thoroughly enjoyed watching.  (y)

A_Northerner

Pitlamp said:
Really good filming; well done to all concerned.

In the Peak film, at about 09:10, it refers to Upper Gallery as "Ecstasy Passage". I think this is wrong - the name refers to a tiny inlet tube on the north side, not the main Upper Gallery. Mark Wright can probably say if I'm right or wrong (as I have memories of him having a good go at pushing it, some considerable time ago).

This might seem unnecessarily pedantic of course - and in no way does it mar the film, which I thoroughly enjoyed watching.  (y)

Yeah Ecstasy Passage is the turn-off just before the crawl to Moss Chamber, I've sent many an unfortunate fresher down that passage to hunt for Moss Chamber - by "accident" of course!

I can see how looking at a survey might lead someone to believe the label for Ecstasy Passage is pointing out the main passage.