Live streamed talk: Caving in the North York Moors - Sun 31st Jan

GarDouth

Administrator
fb481df2-2ccd-0d89-20d1-41e49656c128.jpg

With lockdown boredom well and truly setting in, we have decided to entertain ourselves by putting on a live-streamed caving talk this Sunday.

This hour-long talk will provide a pictorial tour of all aspects of caving in the North York Moors, including the Windypits and the evolution of the North York Moors from a region where no active phreatic caves were known, to one sporting a 3.8km system, explored by our group over the last 14 years. We will include pictures and a survey from the 1km extensions made in 2020, as well as a discussion about the possibilities for other such systems elsewhere in the region.

Sunday 31st January - 7:30pm

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com//YorkCavingClub

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yorkcavingclub

Periscope: https://www.pscp.tv/yorkcavingclub

The talk will also be available after the live broadcast.

We know everyone has online-fatigue at the moment, so we?re not expecting huge enthusiasm at this stage of lockdown. However, we?ve had such a good time putting this together and learning all the technology, and if we manage to entertain a few very bored cavers in the process (and maybe even persuade others to have a go at something similar) then that?s even better.

Fulk

Sounds good . . . but when you said 'where no active phreatic caves were known' did you mean 'where no active vadose caves were known'?

Cavematt

I'm nervous now... Tamarmole, I suspect you know more about caving in the North York Moors than me! Better make sure I get my facts right :)

Cavematt

True, but I believe Tamarmole may have a claim to fame that makes him somewhat of an expert on the North York Moors too... I'll let him elaborate if he wants to.

tim.rose2

Being an internet thicky who's never watched a live stream on youtube before can someone explain what I have to do to join this on Sunday evening (and watch on computer rather than phones etc.).
Cheers.

Cavematt

Just go to one of the pages above (see links above) 3-4 minutes before the 7:30pm start time. If you are not on Facebook then you can use the YouTube link. Once the livestream has started there should be a really obvious link to it from any of those pages. We'll commence the live broadcast about five minutes ahead of the start time with a holding image and a countdown time so you will know you are in the right place  :)

ChrisJC

GarDouth said:
We know everyone has online-fatigue at the moment, so we?re not expecting huge enthusiasm at this stage of lockdown.

Err are you mad?, this will be hugely popular!!

Chris.

Cavematt

For those of you who saw the NPC talk, Im afraid there will be a reasonable amount of repetition in the talk tomorrow; but there will be a lot of other information about all the caves elsewhere in the North York Moors too so worth tuning in for the first 20 minutes at least :)

mikem

Says so in the original post, although I know other talks that have intended to be, but recording facilities failed.

GarDouth

Administrator
Yes, it should be recorded by Facebook and YouTube and appear shortly after. If not, we have a rehearsal that was recorded earlier today.