Lockdown doodles!

Stupot

Anyone else missing a Butcombe and a ham pasta  :beer:

50906086041_36e1253c34_c.jpg
/

skippy

Taking it oop Norf, what I wouldn't give for a pint of over priced OP after jostling with the back slapping three Peakers in here.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    57 KB · Views: 527

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Fine drawing of the Hunters.  Of the real thing I've found the Queen Vic a far better pub in every way.  Have you a drawing of that  :)

Others might want to remind me of the appeal of the Hunters  ;)

maxb727

The food is a lot better in the Hunters especially for the price of it. It?s also a much shorter walk from the caving hut.

The Queen Vic could be anywhere, any pub, but there is no other place quite like the hunters.

PeteHall

maxb727 said:
The Queen Vic could be anywhere, any pub, but there is no other place quite like the hunters.

Couldn't agree more.

The Queen Vic is a good pub, but that's it really. There is so much more than 'good pub' about The Hunters. There's a reason it's known as the centre of the universe; a good portion of the soul of Mendip caving resides there.

I expect that there are a good many people longing to get back into The Hunters, as much as they are longing to get back underground, possibly more...

Speleofish

I always used to regard the Hunters and Queen Vic in a similar way to the Padarn Lake and the Vaynol Arms. If you were an insider (or, in the case of the Padarn, a groupie), you went to the Padarn and pretended to enjoy it. If you wanted a more civilised experience (especially on a fine evening) the Vaynol was much better.

That's a very historical assessment (I haven't been to any of them for over thirty years) and is probably a little harsh about Mendip.

Jenny P

The best of them all was the New Inn which was directly facing onto Priddy Green!  It was run by one very elderly lady who sat in a sort of wooden cubby-hole which was straight ahead as you went through the door.  The usual cavers bar was to the right as you went in and when you wanted beer you tapped on her little window and she drew it from the racked up barrels and served it from a jug into your pot.  The back of the settle kept the draughts out and we used to dry our wet socks or gloves on the open door of the range.  They'd sawn the top twiddly bits off the grandfather clock so it could stand upright agaist the wall (the ceiling was too low otherwise) and there was a large framed picture of Queen Victoria next to it - was it commerorating the Jubilee?  The old lady definitely didn't do "food", though I think you could get a bag of crisps.

Then someone bought it after the old lady died and "improved" it so we stopped going.

mikem

Emily Speed - the New Inn is for sale again & there's a picture of her on:
https://m.facebook.com/theoldnewinnonpriddygreen/

Funnily enough the Hunters scores higher than the Queen Vic on TripAdvisor (although one reviewer definitely wasn't in the right pub!)

tony from suffolk

Jenny P said:
The best of them all was the New Inn which was directly facing onto Priddy Green!  It was run by one very elderly lady who sat in a sort of wooden cubby-hole which was straight ahead as you went through the door.  The usual cavers bar was to the right as you went in and when you wanted beer you tapped on her little window and she drew it from the racked up barrels and served it from a jug into your pot.  The back of the settle kept the draughts out and we used to dry our wet socks or gloves on the open door of the range.  They'd sawn the top twiddly bits off the grandfather clock so it could stand upright agaist the wall (the ceiling was too low otherwise) and there was a large framed picture of Queen Victoria next to it - was it commerorating the Jubilee?  The old lady definitely didn't do "food", though I think you could get a bag of crisps.

Then someone bought it after the old lady died and "improved" it so we stopped going.
Ahh! Happy evenings in The New Inn huddled round the big blazing fire in those old benches. Emily Speed was the ancient landlady, and if you asked her she would shuffle off & make you a cheese sandwich, but then she'd be unavailable to pour you a drink from her "Bar" for a couple of hours or so.

Here's a photo I took of the original pub in the mid-1960s  (got some more of the inside somewhere...) - 
NSw3ef3.jpg

Jenny P

mikem said:
Emily Speed - the New Inn is for sale again & there's a picture of her on:
https://m.facebook.com/theoldnewinnonpriddygreen/

Funnily enough the Hunters scores higher than the Queen Vic on TripAdvisor (although one reviewer definitely wasn't in the right pub!)

Ah, I never knew her name was Emily Speed.  A misnomer if ever there was!