Wanted Inn

Mark Wright

I had my first ever pint of beer in the Wanted Inn following my first ever proper caving trip in Giants Hole with SUSS back in September 79.

I remember being a little hungover as I walked to school the following day, I was a month off being 15!! 

Mark

nigel n

The Wanted has always struggled as a pub and the Bradleys have done their best to make the place a success over the last few years.  At least we'll still be able to buy a bottle of beer and sit outside in the sunshine (eventually!)

ditzy 24//7

have not been in there in years, and not since the name change when ever this was. however i was never a fan of their draught beers so used to buy bottled.

LJR

ditzy said:
however i was never a fan of their draught beers so used to buy bottled.

As I remember, years ago, it was a Robinson's pub and sold the battery acid that they called bitter.
The only person I knew who liked it was Uncle Torchy, and his tastes were definitely suspect.

Pitlamp

LJR said:
ditzy said:
however i was never a fan of their draught beers so used to buy bottled.

As I remember, years ago, it was a Robinson's pub and sold the battery acid that they called bitter.
The only person I knew who liked it was Uncle Torchy, and his tastes were definitely suspect.

It tasted fine to me when you just made last orders after an evening caving trip.

Brains

The beer is rank when you would rather drink what you can suck from your socks (Robinsons - I am looking at you!)

AR

OK, so we need to set up a blind taste test - Robbos bitter versus liquid wrung out of a wetsock... of course, if you've just been into Long Tor Grot-hole you really, really don't want to drink the sock juice!

Wardy

just to add to the general topic of beer.
Is some of it down to what you grew up with?
I like a good pint and a pint of landlord generally goes down well,  but a "good" pint of Robbies takes me back to my youth.
So maybe I have a bit of a sentimental spot for it or maybe my taste buds associated Robbies and beer.
Now a trip to the Mendips on the other hand was always very entertaining, but I still believe Butcombe is completely undrinkable and would probably go for the wrung out wet sock option.
So is beer taste a local thing or is Butcombe really crap?

Brains

Cant argue with personal tastes but I have always found Butcombe quite pleasant and Robinsons hard to swallow. Newcastle Brown is always good, and Old Peculier on draft or bottled. Guinness can be very hit and miss, draft or bottled. Ditzy likes Speckled Hen and various ciders. Landlord is good, and if I can get it Hartington is good. Titanic make some nice brews as well

AR

I wouldn't go for Robinsons regular bitter by choice but Unicorn's OK if properly kept - I like Old Tom too, but in small quantities! I used to like Newcastle Brown but stopped drinking it after I woke up after a heavy night with my liver rather than my head aching, and as for tastes being shaped by what you grew up with, I'll always have a fondness for Old Peculier, Camerons Strongarm, and Black Sheep Special. Landlord's another old favourite (likewise Ram Tam which you seldom see outside of West Yorkshire) but I got a bit spoiled living near Keighley and drinking it in the Boltmakers! :beer:
Titanic Plum Porter is nice in bottles and fantastic on draught, and for something really special there are a couple of superb oatmeal stouts to track down, Thornbridge McConnell and North Riding Oatmeal, or for something brewed just down the road from where I used to live in West Yorks, Naylors Rum Baa Baa. The one really bad thing about lockdown and not going into Sheffield to work as far as I'm concerned is being unable to call in at the Beer Exchange in the market and get bottles of the latter two... :cry:

AR

It's a long while since S&N had the brand and the Theakston family managed to get it back, but proper Masham-made OP (that came in the wood) was good even under their ownership.