Access to Snowdon and Nearby

Digit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56884631

Just appeared, time will tell how widespread this will be.  In the short term probably best to do a bit of checking before coming into the wider area i.e. the area the 'average' tourist/day-tripper will be interested in.

Cantclimbtom

This has been expected for a while and some chatter on UKC (that's UK Climbing not UK Caving ;) ) website/forums. Points raised the is park and ride is poor especially if you want to use it outside main service hours, there is a failed industrial area at Glyn Rhonwy that could be used for parking and additional parking to park and ride. Also the cost of parking for a full day in the new scheme might be comparable to the fine for parking on the road if you pay it promptly, so a lot of work is still needed to sort out the parking mess that is Pen y pass. I expect Ogwen next...

I maintain this is why we were given Cnicht, Rhinogs, Nantlle Ridge and all the other lovely areas that barely get visited.

Cantclimbtom

Down and beyond said:
I suspect dinorwig will be just as bad !
Funny you should mention that... you know "Bus Stop" has its parking legislation going through now so they can add double yellows, no overnight etc etc

tomferry

I am sure on my last visit people had parked on the yellow lines their anyway on the turning circle , is all of it getting the yellow line treatment now ?

wormster

I always find it better to keep away from the "honeypots" and walk the lesser peaks and things, going mid week during term time also is a bonus. Mind you having done All of the Welsh 3,000's I really don't need to do them again for a while!!

Cantclimbtom

There's always a route you haven't tried. Everyone and their dog have been up Glyder Fach and Fawr for example, sure.. but via Bryan's Gully? via Chasm face route? The approach to both of those are in parking meltdown areas :(

Speleotron

I'm avoiding 'main Snowdonia' (Snowdon group, Glydderau, Southern Carneddau, Moel Siabod, quarries) until 2022 at the earliest, I think it will just be grim. Plenty of quiet parts of Snowdonia and that's before you look at mid Wales.

Llanigraham

Cantclimbtom said:
This has been expected for a while and some chatter on UKC (that's UK Climbing not UK Caving ;) ) website/forums. Points raised the is park and ride is poor especially if you want to use it outside main service hours, there is a failed industrial area at Glyn Rhonwy that could be used for parking and additional parking to park and ride. Also the cost of parking for a full day in the new scheme might be comparable to the fine for parking on the road if you pay it promptly, so a lot of work is still needed to sort out the parking mess that is Pen y pass. I expect Ogwen next...

I maintain this is why we were given Cnicht, Rhinogs, Nantlle Ridge and all the other lovely areas that barely get visited.

Not if they tow the cars away, which has been threatened in some cases, as you then get the towing charge and a storage charge added on, plus you have to get to the storage area.

NewStuff

Llanigraham said:
Not if they tow the cars away, which has been threatened in some cases, as you then get the towing charge and a storage charge added on, plus you have to get to the storage area.

It's happened on a few occasions last year, and they seem to be pushing this more than previous years, given the issues over the last 12+ months. I wouldn't chance it.

cap n chris

During warm(er) weather towing a car away wouldn't be a major issue but if it was done during winter (or cold snap) conditions it could be life threatening for someone anticipating returning to their car only to find it's missing and they are stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing in which to shelter or rewarm themselves. Would expect such a practice to therefore be unwise in the extreme and potentially sue-worthy.

cavemanmike

Went climbing on tryfan on Sunday and although the parking was atrocious when we topped out there were only 8 people on the summit.
I've seen more people up there in winter.
Thankfully they must have been on the carneddu and the glyders

ChrisJC

The trick is definitely to avoid the honeypot mountains.
On Saturday we walked up to Prince Edward Mine, then up onto the ridge to the north. From there we could see Snowdon, the Moelwyns, the Rhinogs, Cader Idris, and across the sea to the Lleyn Peninsula. Then back to Tomen-y-Mur and down to Trawsfynydd.

We saw one other walker all day, who was so surprised to see us, he addressed us in Welsh as he thought we must be local to be in such an out of the way place.

Chris.

Speleotron

I'm sure the mountains themselves aren't that bad once you get a couple of miles from the car but I can't be bothered with parking chaos and traffic jams. The UK national parks are hell bent on encouraging as many people as possible to visit them but they don't provide parking, bins or toilets. They should build a multi story carpark on the disused industrial estate in Llanberis, and maybe a similar one in Bethesda, and have regular busses from an hour before sunrise to a couple of hours after sunset. It works in other countries but I can't see that kind of investment happening in the UK even though it would probably pay for itself; we don't even get public toilets any more.

sinker

Cap'n Chris said:
During warm(er) weather towing a car away wouldn't be a major issue but if it was done during winter (or cold snap) conditions it could be life threatening for someone anticipating returning to their car only to find it's missing and they are stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing in which to shelter or rewarm themselves. Would expect such a practice to therefore be unwise in the extreme and potentially sue-worthy.

Don't park illegally and it won't get towed. Simple.

RobinGriffiths

There a NP consulation at the moment for 'parking hubs' at Llanberis (most likely Glynrhonwy), Bethesda, Beddgelert and Betws y Coed and/or Llanrwst.

I'm always suprised why there's always so many people in Betws y Coed. People appear to visit it for it's own sake rather than as a mountain walk start point.

cavemanmike

RobinGriffiths said:
I'm always suprised why there's always so many people in Betws y Coed. People appear to visit it for it's own sake rather than as a mountain walk start point.
The same reason why half of the general public walk around there local high street in top end outdoor gear and have never set food on a mountain