Rescue in Teesdale

ChrisJC

https://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/news/breaking-news-two-people-rescued-from-deep-mine-shaft-in-teesdale-in-a-major-999-operation

Anyone we know?

Chris.

Speleofish

I'm intrigued by the comment that 14 vehicles were involved for what sounds a straightforward (if embarrassing) rescue. Seems a little excessive, or am I missing something?

Legendrider and others are lurking on UKC and know the place well so may be able offer more insight into what these two might have done.

Jim

cap n chris

mikem said:
Standard practice nowadays.

Anyone know why? Does it make sense and have sound supporting reasoning behind it or is it just an excuse for a jolly and to attempt to involve organisations that haven't got much else to do? It isn't free to roll out such resources. 

Hammy

Cap'n Chris said:
mikem said:

Anyone know why? Does it make sense and have sound supporting reasoning behind it or is it just an excuse for a jolly and to attempt to involve organisations that haven't got much else to do? It isn't free to roll out such resources.

Armchair Caving at its best...or should that be worst....

cap n chris

Hammy said:
Cap'n Chris said:
mikem said:

Armchair Caving at its best...or should that be worst....

A caving client of mine had a massive heart attack as we reached a cave entrance; 999/ambulance was requested; ended up with a helicopter on standby, 2 ambulances, 4 fire tenders, police and mountain rescue. Ambulance and one fire crew was all that were involved as it was a straightforward carry over countryside. I was not in an armchair - I was running to/fro seven times during the orgy of ridiculous overkill. Go figure. PS Thanks for your presumption.

It seems it isn't Coldberry but High Skears, close but a different mine and much easier access and whatever the BBC suggest it's not really near Barnard Castle as was suggested dubious eyesight.

Jim

cap n chris

Cantclimbtom said:
One team to rescue, one team to watch and a third to criticise the others in case legal blame needed later?

Reminds me of that old Soviet joke about why do the police walk around in groups of 3: one who can read, one who can write and one to keep an eye on the two dangerous intellectuals.

ChrisJC

Cap'n Chris said:
mikem said:

It sounds sensible when you compare it to this one:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-30366818
which if I recall correctly involved 150 people to get a stout elderly gentleman up a 30m rope.

Chris.

legendrider

Usual press misinformation, its NOT Coldberry and as Jim rightly states, but Skears Firestone Level, which is pretty benign throughout.  I suspect (and this is only a working hypothesis) that the persons in question had attempted the through-trip down to Low Skears Level, via the winzes on D2 Vein.  Once was enough for me - 3 decades on I still quake at the thought.  Curious as to who was involved, I have my suspicions.

MARK

For those critical of the number of emergency vehicles involved, it's worth bearing in mind that you have the benefit of knowing the final outcome. Those initially attending would not have the advantage if your hindsight.

There's mention of two trapped, underground water and crumbling entrance in the news report. Add to that mix an excited 999 call and vague actual information from the third party caller, which means those attending don't really know the scale of the problem.

Finally the nearest emergency vehicle(s) able to deal may not be the BEST equipped to deal, so as a precaution both will initially be sent.

thehungrytroglobite

ChrisJC said:
https://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/news/breaking-news-two-people-rescued-from-deep-mine-shaft-in-teesdale-in-a-major-999-operation

Anyone we know?

Chris.

Curious to know exactly how they 'couldn't get out'