Aveline's hole

JoshW

Has anyone been 'past the gate' in Avelines?

1) is it worth it? is the intrigue greater than the end product?
2) who would I need to give a secret handshake to, to get access?

Ali M

JoshW said:
Has anyone been 'past the gate' in Avelines?

1) is it worth it? is the intrigue greater than the end product?
2) who would I need to give a secret handshake to, to get access?

As stated in MU5, for access email: secretary@ubss.org.uk

badger

Josh never been through the gate, but have had it described to me as pete has described it, hence I have decided it does not sound worth the effort

JoshW

Ah so it's almost a leader based system?

Would be interesting to go there I think. Perhaps a sign within the cave saying why the gate is there within the cave and how to get access past could be a good way of enticing people into the sport. Perhaps also with some information about how to get into caving, and find a local club etc.

Plenty of people walk past and go in, with that level of intrigue surely they're potential cavers.

Just seems a shame to have a massive plain gate with no evidence provided as to why it's there.

cap n chris

The gate is to protect vulnerable archaeology. There's nothing else to see beyond the gate. It's been vandalised many times.

mikem

It was open for centuries before the marks were noticed. Hardly any cave beyond what you can see.

ZombieCake

The stuff in Goatchurch is also worth having a look at if that's your thing.  The same UBSS volume Pete H linked to above with the Aveline's stuff in has the details.  http://www.ubss.org.uk/articles/proceedings_contents_23_2.php
Aveline's is nice to look at but maybe not for a special journey on it's own, as it won't take long to see them.

JoshW

Cap'n Chris said:
The gate is to protect vulnerable archaeology. There's nothing else to see beyond the gate. It's been vandalised many times.

There?s nothing else to see beyond the gate? except the archaeology you mentioned in the first sentence right?

ZombieCake

Part of the issue may be the big iron gate itself.  It's not protecting the holy grail or the lost ark of the covenant, but people will think that with amount of protection there's got to be something there, but in reality its more diddly squat.

cap n chris

JoshW said:
Cap'n Chris said:

There?s nothing else to see beyond the gate? except the archaeology you mentioned in the first sentence right?

Probably some bat poo, perhaps some litter, some cavernicoles mebbe, probably masses depending on your anality.

JoshW

Cap'n Chris said:
JoshW said:
Cap'n Chris said:

Probably some bat poo, perhaps some litter, some cavernicoles mebbe, probably masses depending on your anality.

I'm actually a div and somehow missed the fact you'd written else in your sentence (but still somehow managed to type it myself). so just ignore my comment entirely...