Long Kin East Upstream Passages

langcliffe

Entering the outlet from Rift Pot - Long Kin East towards the canals and sump, there is an inlet passage on the left which leads into 350 metres of passages finishing just to the east of Jockey Hole.

Does anyone know when these were first entered, and by whom? All I can establish is that it was before 1974, but they are not mentioned in the 1975 edition of Pennine Underground.

A reference would be good...

Somewhere between 1965 and 1969?

Not mentioned in the 1965 reprint of PU.

Surveyed by ULSA (ULSA Exploraration Journal 1 October 1969 p48) but not claimed as new exploration.

ULSA survey of Rift/Long Kin East also credited in the old NC V3 Ingleborough. Some decent passage if I remember rightly from nearly 40 years ago.

Could it be extended beyond the Rift Pot fault towards Marble Pot/Sink? Or is it just downstream Jockey Hole (with potential for a link up)?

The bottom of Jockey Hole is about 30m vertically above the upstream inlet passages in Rift/Long Kin East.
That?s a significant vertical distance to dig if there is a connection from Jockey Hole to the upstream inlet.
Or alternatively the upstream inlet goes somewhere else to the NW.
Has anyone ever had a determined look at the upstream extremities?

Alex

Never actually been up that inlet, maybe make a point of doing it on my next trip there. Though I recall it being rather wet to get to it?

My visit to both upstream and downstream passages was in the early 80s in a wetsuit rather than a furry/fleece.
Given the recent progress in Austwick Beck Head, is anyone planning to dive downstream Long Kin East again? Or Juniper Gulf or Nick Pot?