Derbyshire Ammonite, anyone?

Tangent_tracker

This was a first for me, anyone else ever seen an ammonite in Derbyshire?

Attachments

• amm8.jpg
    amm8.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,117

langcliffe

Assuming that it is in Carboniferous deposits, it is more likely to be a Goniatite, an ancestor of the Ammonite that didn't survive the Permian Extinction. They are an important dating fossil.

alastairgott

I think I've seen similar in derbyshire, but can't remember. Longcliffe is in the reef, so a possibility there, but that one in your photo TT looks familiar. Winnatts or P8?

Tangent_tracker

This was in snelslow Swallet Alastair so that would certainly make sense!

alastairgott said:
I think I've seen similar in derbyshire, but can't remember. Longcliffe is in the reef, so a possibility there, but that one in your photo TT looks familiar. Winnatts or P8?

Tangent_tracker

Thanks for that. Someone on a fossil group has suggested this might be a gastropod, Straparollus? I assume this has more in common with a sea snail type of creature?
langcliffe said:
Assuming that it is in Carboniferous deposits, it is more likely to be a Goniatite, an ancestor of the Ammonite that didn't survive the Permian Extinction. They are an important dating fossil.

pwhole

We've got a nice (and rare) 40m section through the reef limestone at Longcliffe - the walls of the main shaft are full of fossils, stromatolites, etc., some in clearly delineated bands (though not defined beddings), and would probably repay a more detailed analysis. On ropes, naturally, but I bet there's more than one of those down there - looks exactly the same type of rock.

langcliffe

Tangent_tracker said:
Thanks for that. Someone on a fossil group has suggested this might be a gastropod, Straparollus? I assume this has more in common with a sea snail type of creature?

Yes, it could well be a gastopod - of some type.

Tangent_tracker

Sounds interesting. There are various, what I call extinction zones, one memorable example being above boss aven in giants, beyond that steep slope.
Let me know when you are down next Phil and I'll lend a hand with the dig if you need it  (y)

pwhole said:
We've got a nice (and rare) 40m section through the reef limestone at Longcliffe - the walls of the main shaft are full of fossils, stromatolites, etc., some in clearly delineated bands (though not defined beddings), and would probably repay a more detailed analysis. On ropes, naturally, but I bet there's more than one of those down there - looks exactly the same type of rock.

pwhole

Are you prepared to be muddy?! To be honest, without plenty of water there's not much point right now at the main face, but there is a dry clean dig at the other end we could have a pop at? Just moving rocks. Next couple of weeks? The whole place is in reef limestone, which is really interesting as the canal tunnel itself doesn't seem to be, and we're really close to it. The deads we've dug out recently look suspiciously like canal-blasting spoil to me, as it's different rock to our walls, with no fossils and blue-grey. It's also at least 100m horizontally from the road, which means it's bloody thick reef right there - but it must stop pretty abruptly in the next few metres.

Tangent_tracker

Give me a shout when you are popping down Phil! Apart from tomorrow!

pwhole said:
Are you prepared to be muddy?! To be honest, without plenty of water there's not much point right now at the main face, but there is a dry clean dig at the other end we could have a pop at? Just moving rocks. Next couple of weeks? The whole place is in reef limestone, which is really interesting as the canal tunnel itself doesn't seem to be, and we're really close to it. The deads we've dug out recently look suspiciously like canal-blasting spoil to me, as it's different rock to our walls, with no fossils and blue-grey. It's also at least 100m horizontally from the road, which means it's bloody thick reef right there - but it must stop pretty abruptly in the next few metres.

owd git

T pot 2 said:
I was shown one of these and a trilobite in giants crabwalk

Are you sure it was a Trilobite in giants?, I thought it would be wrong period of limestone.if so where? please, not a collector just a geology nut. pm to avoid public interference  eh?. ta . O.G. 

Tangent_tracker

owd git said:
T pot 2 said:
I was shown one of these and a trilobite in giants crabwalk

Are you sure it was a Trilobite in giants?, I thought it would be wrong period of limestone.if so where? please, not a collector just a geology nut. pm to avoid public interference  eh?. ta . O.G.

I'm thinking, perhaps it was Corel? I would also like to know, but of course fully understand if the OP wants to keep it to themselves.

Andy Farrant

You do get trilobites in the Carboniferous; I have found a couple in the Black Rock Limestone in Burrington Combe, so they are there....

martinb

Bit late to the party, but a Trilobite was found in Treak Cliff Cavern (not by me) a few years back. Its on display in their musuem and was there on 5th October when I paid a visit.