Hill Inn - Ingleton

S

Salty

Anyone know what the crack is with the Hill Inn nr Ingleton?

I was told a few years back that management had changed hands and that it was no longer the caver friendly pub/campsite that it used to be.

Is this still the case?

If so, where is the best place to camp in/near ingleton? (Near to a decent pub) :drink:

SamT

No idea mate - Why - you off there at the weekend.

PS - shouldnt this be under the yorkshire forum

S

Salty

goin up there over easter!

If it was in the yorkshire section, it would only get seen by people lookin at yorkshire stuff - I think that kinda makes sense?!?

seamoose

Not sure what the crack is with the Hill Inn these days... although you still see tents camped there sometimes.

There's a campsite near Ingleton if you turn right off the main A65 (heading SE) instead of turning left in to the village, about half a mile to a mile down there. I haven't stayed at it, but it's in walking distance of the Ingleton pubs.

Other options are Braida Garth hut (bit of a trek back from Marton Arms).

Are cavers still banned from the static caravans in Ingleton???

underground

I think cafers are still banned from the static caravans under the arches- better to go with the missus and pretend not to be caving....

We stayed at the campsite off the A65 last summer, it's alright actually- lots of 'professional caravanners' with kiddies about, but it's not very expensive, the sh*tters are clean, showers hot, and the well kept short grass is nice and level.

It's a way from the Marton Arms, not a problem if the missus doesn't mind driving while you have a skinful of Black Sheep :LOL:

SamT

So therefore the people looking at the yorkshire stuff will know more about yorkshire things like which yorkshire campsites are near the best yorkshire pubs and that yorkshire tea is best made with yorkshire water etc :wink:

dunc

Not sure about the Hill Inn, I'm sure I've seen tents there since it changed hands but not as many as there once was - mass hordes of tents probably doesn't suit the image..

Don't know anything about it or what the facilities are like but Glebe Farm, roughly half mile up the Kingsdale road from the Marton has some camping spaces..
http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.round/over.htm

mudmonkey

They certainly allow camping. I think the attitude to cavers depends on the day etc. - I've been there some evenings when the bar staff have been encouraging the cartwheel games etc., and others when it's been very peaceful and clearly full of posh people eating (very nice) food, when we thought it politic not to scare them all away.

Beer's still good mind :eek:)

Rachel

I can certainly recommend the Hill Inn for real ale now that the Marton has been taken over and gone down the pan.

The camping was stopped a while back because under the previous owners it became a bit of an open-air drug market and Colin (the new landlord) had to pay more in wages to get the site cleaned up than it was worth in camping fees. Having said that, now that the junky crowd have got the message, the genuine campers seem to be creeping back again. One alternative is the Station Inn, at Ribblehead. Ok, the beer is crap there, but it's next to common land, where you can throw a tent up for nothing.

Rachel

dunc

now that the Marton has been taken over and gone down the pan.
like a lot of pubs these days (not just the Dales), they've been turned over to the family-food-money industry.. theres a lot more money to be made on food than beer..
:(

S

Salty

SamT said:
So therefore the people looking at the yorkshire stuff will know more about yorkshire things like which yorkshire campsites are near the best yorkshire pubs and that yorkshire tea is best made with yorkshire water etc :wink:

you've a good point there Mr T, The primary question was about a pub... which happened to be in yorkshire! thats why I put it in General topic!

Anyhow, nevermind I'm sure I'll get it right next time! -

Thanks everyone for the info, I Think I'll give Hill inn a go & See if i can get stuck in that damn cartwheel again. :drink:

SamT

when you going up - I might be on for coming along - if thats alright. - You on for mendip next bank hol.

S

Salty

SamT said:
when you going up - I might be on for coming along - if thats alright. - You on for mendip next bank hol.

as discussed last night, we're goin up the thursday morning before the stomp

We're doing a bigish trip on the thursday and goin for a hungover bimble on the friday.

should be up for priddy weekend :rocker2:

newcastlecaver

does anyone know why cavers are banned from the static caravans nr ingleton? is it the general mud and dirt and the usual complaints or something specific?

Rachel

er, yeah, I think I can explain about the caravans..........

It was several years ago and approx 25 of us from an anonymous uni club had rented a caravan under the false pretence of being 6 people. You can imagine the scene - bodies on every flat surface (I spent the night on the windowsill in a sleeping bag, legs up the wall as the sill wasn't long enough). Anyway, the 6 'genuine' people had been politely asked by Mrs Morphet, the campsite owner, not to park the minibus on the grass as it was muddy. They agreed, but didn't pass the message on to the rest of us, who came back from the Marton Arms in the dark and drove it straight onto the grass by the caravan. Next morning, we were just loading up for the day, when Mrs Morphet in her curlers and dressing gown came steaming across the campsite, yelling blue murder about the ruined grass. We were told in no uncertain terms to get out of her campsite NOW and not come back. Despite our best efforts, it took 10 of us half an hour to get the bus out of the mud, with Mrs Morphet shouting and scolding us all the while. Unfortunately we were banned from the site and as far as I know, that's also when she fell out with cavers in general.

Sorry folks.[/quote]

SamT

I bet theres many out there who could tell a similar tale.

These things tend build up untill the straw breaks the camels back.

Shame - but hay ho. theres usually someone around the corner willing to take advantage of the niche left in the market.