Thursday snow.

Pitlamp

Just in case anyone was thinking of travelling to the Dales this evening (Thursday 17th) - be aware that, as at tea time, the roads are quite bad. The main A65 (Skipton to Kendal road) was completely stopped at Clapham when I walked home from work. There's only about 7.5 cm of snow here but it's been packed down into very slippery hard ice - pretty difficult driving conditions. Side roads are no better. I never saw any gritters either . . . .

Just thought I'd mention it as all the news reports are on about the south east having it bad and not so much elsewhere.

Alex

Its weird how a few miles south in Clitheroe we only got a light dusting the A59 being passable here.

dunc

as all the news reports are on about the south east
Goes without saying as there's no life outside of the south east of England!  :blink:
Typical bleeding southerners, slightest little thing and they plaster it all over the news!
Its weird how a few miles south in Clitheroe we only got a light dusting the A59 being passable here.
Just a dusting down in Oldham too. Although not looking forward to wandering around on it tomorrow, dancing on ice will have nothing on me.

G

george

Thanks for the warning, I was wanting to head to Longchurn area on Sunday - does anyone know what it's like there?

George

Pitlamp

Early Friday morning (18th); the main A65 is moving OK. Side roads need care. We haven't had a lot of snow here; it's just that last night the gritters didn't get on the case soon enough. (I'm only talking about the Clapham area as well; can't vouch for elsewhere.) North Yorkshire used to have a reputation for being excellent at sorting roads out in bad weather; these last two winters it's been a different story though, despite our council tax going up and up as ever.

If it doesn't put down significantly more snow then it'll be right getting here at the weekend. You might still have to be a bit careful though away from main roads. If this changes I'll try and add a further comment.

Pete K

On my way to the Dales (Ingleton) in a couple of hours, anybody care to give a road status update?

bubba

Administrator
I came down from Barrow to Worksop via Ingleton/Skipton/Bradford at 3am this morning - it was quite entertaining to say the least. All I can say is that I'm glad I was in an artic running at about 30 tons as there were cars abandoned all over the shop.

I have to do it again tonight, assuming all is quite clear now?

kay

Round Leeds/Bradford temperatures are dropping rapidly and forecast to reach -4 C (colder than last night). There hasn't been enough sun to dry off melted snow, so watch out for ice.

G

george

I'm the other side of Yorkshire (near Thisk/Northallerton) and it's shocking over here! Big snow, Ice the lot. If it's as bad in the dales I won't make it there on Sunday - but is it as bad?

Just a thought; weather is pretty important to us cavers, especially in this time of flooding and big dumps (of snow). Why not have a permanant Forum place for information sharing on the subject? "I'm off to xxxx tomorrow, what's the water levels like?" etc etc.

If you're short of space you could get rid of some of the lesser-used or just plane rubbish Topic areas like Derbyshire or Wales?

damian

george said:
If it's as bad in the dales I won't make it there on Sunday - but is it as bad?

Hi George,

I'm going up to the Dales tomorrow morning. Assuming the YSS wireless is working (it wasn't last weekend for some reason), I'll let you know tomorrow evening.

bubba

Administrator
I've just got back in from doing the same trip again and can confirm that as of 3am this morning the whole road from the M6 to Bradford is completely clear and gritted.

It will however be a very cold morning as the temperature was as low as -11C (!) near Settle.

Pitlamp

Bubba's right - the A65 is fine. When I went out to check the "rain" gauge this morning before dawn it was damn cold.

George - do you make use of the visbot on the CDG website? You can get a pretty good idea of what's been happening from various peoples' rainfall figures uploaded early each morning and from Richard's adjectival (alcohol related) assessments of the clarity of the water in the Ribble. Let's keep the Derbyshire pages going at least; there's some extremely fine caves there and it's all happening at the moment as well. (Remember, the Peak District is part of our much loved Pennines and culturally it belongs very much to the North!)

Pete K

bubba said:
I've just got back in from doing the same trip again and can confirm that as of 3am this morning the whole road from the M6 to Bradford is completely clear and gritted.

It will however be a very cold morning as the temperature was as low as -11C (!) near Settle.
I can confirm that temp as I was sleeping in a layby just outside Settle in the back of an orange transit van! Baltic!!

damian

A65 is indeed completely clear, although temps rose somewhat during the day and there has been a little melting, which might make it very dangerous until it's gritted tonight.

The road from Settle to Ribblehead and Ribblehead to Ingleton are fine too. I don't like the look of the road from Helwith Bridge to Austwick.

bubba

Administrator
Pete K said:
I can confirm that temp as I was sleeping in a layby just outside Settle in the back of an orange transit van! Baltic!!

You must have a very very warm sleeping bag - hardcore!

G

george

Pitlamp - cheers. I do look at the CDG webside, very useful, thanks.
I was only kidding about both Derbyshire and Wales ;)

Pitlamp

Sunday 20th; shortly after I set off to work this morning (when things were fine) it started chucking down Slazenger rejects again and it's been bad on the roads in the Clapham area. My apologies but I couldn't get at the internet to warn anyone during the day once I'd set off to work. As at early evening the A65 is OK with care but is completely white over.