Video: caving idea

cap n chris

A bit of a long shot, not a hope in hell of it happening, but....

Wouldn't it be nice if a non-extreme, non-hyped, non-horror, non-accident caving video was created which portrayed an enjoyable, safe caving trip where everyone has a great time and ends up smiling lots?

Something like Swinsto wouild make a superb topic but obviously logistically it might be hard to film.

The Round Trip in Swildon's would also be a good contender or even (easier to film) the "Round Trip" in GB Cavern.

Also there's OFD I suppose - that looks stunning.

Of course, there's a good reason for this film never seeing the light of day (pun intended).... god forbid it might actually promote caving and increase the numbers of people desecrating our beloved hallowed underworld.

Good Morning!.... :shock: I've just woken up. What a weird dream....

gus horsley

Chris

In an ideal world it would be lovely to have the caving equivalent of a strawberry cheesecake, coffee and an after eight mint. But I think what the punters really want to experience is the vicarious danger, violence, anguish and swearing of a normal caving trip. But I can see where you're coming from. I'd love to see what I've been missing - the smiling faces at the end.

cap n chris

gus horsley said:
it would be lovely to have the caving equivalent of a strawberry cheesecake, coffee and an after eight mint

Which rather begs the question....

What's the caving equivalent of going out for a pint, meeting two 18 year old models and having an unexpected threesome and then finding a crisp £20 note on the pavement as you walk home?

P.S. This has never happened to me but then I don't go to any University caving weekends. Perhaps I should :wink:

AndyF

cap 'n chris said:
What's the caving equivalent of going out for a pint, meeting two 18 year old models and having an unexpected threesome and then finding a crisp £20 note on the pavement as you walk home?

Who would be walking home after that...???

gus horsley

cap 'n chris said:

I've been racking my brains for at least three minutes over this one and I can't think of a caving equivalent. Mine tended to be going out for a pint, meeting an old bag who I can't get shot of (and her mate who I didn't notice until she picked herself up of the floor), then wandering outside and finding her false teeth on the pavement on the way home. I'm putting this in the past tense just in case my missus happens to look on this forum - can't be too careful with the Spanish Inquisition around.

Caving equivalent? Oh, I dunno, OFD III I suppose.

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
A bit of a long shot, not a hope in hell of it happening, but....

Wouldn't it be nice if a non-extreme, non-hyped, non-horror, non-accident caving video was created which portrayed an enjoyable, safe caving trip where everyone has a great time and ends up smiling lots?

Something like Swinsto wouild make a superb topic but obviously logistically it might be hard to film.

The Round Trip in Swildon's would also be a good contender or even (easier to film) the "Round Trip" in GB Cavern.

Also there's OFD I suppose - that looks stunning.

Of course, there's a good reason for this film never seeing the light of day (pun intended).... god forbid it might actually promote caving and increase the numbers of people desecrating our beloved hallowed underworld.

Good Morning!.... :shock: I've just woken up. What a weird dream....

You mean like the DVD of Alum Pot that the Bradford put out last year or the series that Ralph Johnson has done on Peak District caving trips. The most recent on Giants Hole is on video and DVD or did you have something else in mind?

Puzzled don't they make cave videos down south?

AndyF

Happened to be shown a great DVD the other day made by some of the Wirksworth Mine Research Group of their work in Alabaster Sough.

They winch down a shaft, then head upstream. After digging, they have released enough water to almost sump their return route, limiting airspace to few inches in a small tight coffin level.

It is utterly squalid, mud filled tight and nasty. Great footage and lots of cursing. A sterling effort to film in those circumstances, and a dig that shows sheer determination by those guys. They should publish it for certain....

A

andymorgan

A guy at Oxford uni has made a good short video about a trip to sump 1 with some relative newbies to caving. At the beginning it asks them what they expect etc, and shows them at the end smiling and talking about their experience. There is good cave footage inbetween, they should publish it...

bubba

Administrator
cap 'n chris said:

tumbleweed.gif

E

emgee

Brains said:
http://ccpc.mdryan.net/?section=forsale
Dig out your dosh and buy one, or more...

That page is out of date though as it hasn't got the latest one on Giants Hole on it. Personally I thought the first ones he did were a bit heavy on pictures of cavers and not enough pictures of cave but the Giants one had me going "I didn't know that was there must go and take a look". Also it's available on DVD for those who don't do VHS anymore.

ian mckenzie

cap 'n chris said:
Here's one: http://www.nfb.ca/trouverunfilm/fichefilm.php?id=13825&v=h&lg=en&exp=${underground}%20AND%20${rivers}