Exmoor caves

gus horsley

There's virtually nothing in Exmoor.  There's a  couple of adits near Combe Martin and a few inland where there were iron mines, none of which are worth a special trip.  The only vaguely interesting area is to the north of South Molton where a couple of small mines produced micaceous hematite and copper but overall Exmoor isn't renowned for its wealth of underground sights.

Les W

There is a cave, in Limestone  :eek: near Combe Martin. It is called Napps Cave and is tight and torturous. It is also gated and accessis currently denied.  :(

gus horsley

Les W said:
There is a cave, in Limestone  :eek: near Combe Martin. It is called Napps Cave and is tight and torturous. It is also gated and accessis currently denied.  :(

I didn't include this one for those reasons.

Les W

gus horsley said:
Les W said:

I didn't include this one for those reasons.

Ooops  :-[

V

Vance

I was mountain biking around Lynton last weekend and saw a lot of exposed rock in places that looked suspiciously like limestone (not being a geologist...) There was also a couple of places that looked like promising cave entrance but I was prevented from furtalling about by the rest of my group. The tributaries to the river Lyn and the Lyn itself were also in very steeply sided valleys which reminded me of limestone erosion. Anybody know anything more about this area?

gus horsley

You were probably looking at the Valley of The Rocks which does superficially resemble a limestone gorge with a few overhangs and bits that look like they go somewhere but unfortunately don't.  The rock is Carboniferous, but shales and grits as opposed to limestone.

ttxela

gus horsley said:
You were probably looking at the Valley of The Rocks which does superficially resemble a limestone gorge with a few overhangs and bits that look like they go somewhere but unfortunately don't.  The rock is Carboniferous, but shales and grits as opposed to limestone.

Isn't there supposed to be a "witches cave" there, or is that entirely  ficticious?

rhychydwr1

Mother Meldrum?s Cave in the Valley of the Rocks.  NGR SS 704 495 Sign posted.  Looking south, there are 3 potential sites.  The lower one is a triangular entrance, c 5 feet wide, 2 feet high which goes back for 5 feet.  It is formed by a boulder resting against the rock face.  The middle cave is most likely to be Mother Meldrum?s Cave.  The entrance is 5 feet high and 3 feet wide and goes back for 5 feet.  Again a boulder cave.  Higher up and to the west there is a shadow which looks like a cave.  I sent Anne up and she confirmed it was a shadow.  A search of the area failed to find any larger crevices. 
This lady was the legendary seer who was visited by John Ridd in R D Blackmore?s Lorna Doone.  Other caves nearby are:  Wringapeak Cave.  Dog Cave, Hannington?s Cave.  Stepping Stones Cave, Cathedral Cave.
References:
http://members.madasafish.com/~exmoorwalker/page100.html
Accessed 11.08/08
Log Entry Vol 30 No 031108 see visit Tuesday 4 November, 2008. 
Blackmore, R D [1869] Reader?s Digest Edition 1995 Lorna Doone / A Romance of Exmoor.  Mother Meldrum?s Cave  p 121 refers to two caves.  One at Valley of the Rocks which she used in winter and another which he used in summer at Hawkridge, near Tarr-steps. p 321 where she is referred to as a witch ?living in a cavern by the sea?.  Other cave  references on this book which are probably fictious: pp 251 ?cavern is pretty wide?. p 284 ?cavern of skeleton?  p 321 ?a cavern to herself?  324 ?lived in a cave? p 535 ?darkness of the cavern?.

Mr Dinwiddy

There are Exmoor caves but they are all sea caves and as far as I remember they are all in Devonian sandstones and grits rather than limestone. They run from Hurlstone Point (Nr Porlock) in the east to Baggy Point (Barnstaple way) in the west. There are at least 20 or so but none of them are easy to get to and they are all tidal so can only be accessed at low tide for a few hours. There is a book called the Hidden Edge of Exmoor by Kester Webb that details the caves and cliffs but its not a conventional guidebook.

rhychydwr1

Hidden Edge of Exmoor by Kester Webb

Appears to be a rare book.  Not on Ebay or ABE book. Can anybody lend or sell me a copy?

rhychydwr1

Libraries in Wales appear to be going bust.  They do not do inter-library loans.  Not sure what I pay rates for.  Might have to part with ?12.00  :cautious:

mikem

I bought a copy in Lynmouth last year - it is very good, but doesn't provide much info on the caves beyond where they are.

Mike

rhychydwr1

Dear Mike

Are you willing to lend it to me?  I will will pay postage.  I can return it with a week.

Regards - Tony

tonyfoldham@hotmail.com

richardg

Not far away is the Buddleysalterton (?) Pebble beds rock formation which has a few caves and potential for more.

mikem

You ought to buy a copy as it is a small geological publisher, or they might exchange a copy for some of your spares...

Mike

Piglet

Hi Mike

Out of date thread, I know, but which shop did you buy this book in, can you remember, or roughly where it is in Lynmouth.  Will be visiting next month.

Thanks
Karen

mikem said:
I bought a copy in Lynmouth last year - it is very good, but doesn't provide much info on the caves beyond where they are.

Mike