Marking club wellies - any tips?

not_a_climber

I recently took over as club kit officer and I'm looking for a permanent way to mark wellies with their size. Does anyone have any tips?

Felt tip marker does work for the most part but only on wellies that aren't black. And it seems to eventually rub off.

Thanks hive-mind!

Roger W

I haven't tried this - but could you write on a suitable spot with a hot soldering iron?

(Best to try this out on an old disused welly first!)

A_Northerner

Hole punch the top rim with a number of dots equal to the size? Won't be as quick to determine between, say, a 9 and a 10 of course but it will last for the welly's lifespan.

mikem

Marker pen on the inside. I imagine tipex will just flake off, but you can get white paint pens (will still need redoing regularly)

ZombieCake

I've a similar issue, but not quite boot related - I've just bought an inflatable kayak and want to mark details on it without the marker pen wearing off the PVC.  So I'm going to try putting a layer of the clear Stormsure Tuff Tape over the marks and see if that holds up.  https://www.stormsure.com/tuff-tape-2.html

pwhole

Your club provides wellies? Do you get fights breaking out? "Those tens are mine!"  :mad:

Ah, I just saw which club. That does explain the strange footprints in Upper Gallery around September times ;)

slee23

Some outdoor centres use a painted strip or inventively sheep tags! They can be colour coded or printed on.

wellyjen

slee23 said:
Some outdoor centres use a painted strip or inventively sheep tags! They can be colour coded or printed on.
If you ear tag your novices as well it will be even easier to match wellies to cavers.  (y)
A tag in each ear if they wear different sizes left to right.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Something like this ?

Plenty of ventilation required when using.

https://www.polymarine.com/advice/flexithane-flexible-hypalon-paint/

Joe.Bones

We branded all the Newcastle Uni wellies with a soldering iron, works well but depending on the material can be fumey.

alastairgott

Not related to marking, but we paired ours with a hole punched through the top and a reusable ziptie. Seems to work quite well.

A northerner talks about holepunching, dominoes?

A_Northerner

zzzzzzed said:
My (Inglesport) wellies already have the size stamped on the sole in the instep  :read:

This size doesn't last very long, especially with the use and abuse that club wellies get.