Drying rack's for gear

Alex

I have an issue, I have too much caving gear. My issue is I have a room and a cloths drying rack to dry my caving gear with a tarp to protect the floor but my problem is my stuff weighs too much now that I owe bits of rigging gear ropes etc, so consequently they collapse  so my caving gear is just in a heap on the floor, not good!

This is not the first time I though changing to what I thought was a stronger rack would solve the problem but even without rope (yes that was a bad idea) the thing collapsed after a time, leaving me in my current drying-less predicament. I live in a rented house so attaching bars or large hooks to the wall would not make my land lord happy.

So to avoid a very unpleasent trip next week not to mention long term rust, I would like to know what everyone else uses, I can't be the only one with this problem. I am wondering what free standing solutions you all use? I have contemplated building something my self but my skills lie in constructing software not physical things so my knowledge, tools and materials are limited and I also fell out with "domestic" gravity.

bograt

Get yourself down to the local builders merchant, buy some cheap roofing laths, a saw, some screws and a (preferably cordless) power screwdriver, you can build any free-standing drying rack to fit your space.

simonsays

All my kit drying takes place in the kit store (aka the spare bedroom)

Furry suits/wetsuit socks/gloves go on the radiator.

Oversuits go on wooden hangers hung from the top of the door (bernies bag used to protect door) rope and other 'soft' srt kit goes here too. Metalware gets dried by hand, inspected for damage and put away.

A wooden stool turned upside down provides an ideal welly drier. One on each leg.

cavermark

simonsays said:
All my kit drying takes place in the kit store (aka the spare bedroom)

Furry suits/wetsuit socks/gloves go on the radiator.

Oversuits go on wooden hangers hung from the top of the door (bernies bag used to protect door) rope and other 'soft' srt kit goes here too. Metalware gets dried by hand, inspected for damage and put away.

A wooden stool turned upside down provides an ideal welly drier. One on each leg.

I like the wellie dryer idea - have you got four feet though?!

Alex

I could take your approach Simon, and dry things on the radiator but it would mean I would have to wash the stuff every week, costing me more dosh :(.

That is a good thought about hand drying all the metal work by hand, but is that not very time consuming if you have say 20 crabs to go through, if I am getting in at 11pm Sunday, that is the last thing I want to be doing.

Looks like I will have either have to build something or change my rountine, unless someone else knows of some existing device.

If you can't add anything to the wall could you look at strengthening anything already fitted? Namely, a curtain pole (hopefully you have a window!) I fitted a couple of curtain pole holders in my garage and these hold a long piece of untreated wood. this is strong enough for all my personal kit and a couple hundred metres of rope etc. (mind, the hangers are a bit bent now!)

Obviously you wouldn't want to be storing the rope in the daylight but you could fashion a cover easily enough.

Maj

I use a couple of lengths of 25mm tube (wardrobe rail, from DIY store), with broom handles inserted to make them telescopic. They then sit on the picture rail at either side of the bathroom (originally a bedroom). So I have two hanging rails that can take all my caving kit and washing on hangers. I can move one of the rails over the bath for dripping kit. I then run a portable dehumidifier, and when really damp I leave the extractor fan on. If I'm in a hurry to dry stuff, I have been known to run just the bathroom radiator for a little while (I might even turn the heating on in the rest of the house if it gets cold).

Tent poles will also do the trick, if you've got picture rails.

Hmm! That reminds me, I've still got all my kit to wash from the weekend trip up North.

Maj.

Rachel

You can get metal hanging rails that hook over the top of doors ... I got mine from Practically Everything (next to Settle co-op) for about a tenner.

cavermark

Rachel said:
You can get metal hanging rails that hook over the top of doors ... I got mine from Practically Everything (next to Settle co-op) for about a tenner.
B and Q etc do over door coat hook things (just make sure your door hinges are well fixed if putting caving gear on it!)

Fulk

B and Q etc do over door coat hook things (just make sure your door hinges are well fixed if putting caving gear on it!)
And make sure your door's not too thick to take them!