Independent Cave Diving Group

langcliffe

I have in my possession a "Log of Dives" of the ICDG, which includes amongst other explorations, all the Swildons explorations with surveys, Stoke Lane Slocker, Sayes Hole, P8, and Meregill Skit.

Does anyone know if these were ever published. If not, does anyone know of any other copies?

Pitlamp

I've never come across that before Langcliffe. (I can hazard a guess that the origin of that document was a sadly missed mutual friend of ours.)

If you're wondering what the best thing is to do with it (or at least a copy of it?) I'll happily offer suggestions. Contact me directly if you want to discuss it.

Cookie

Are these the sort of logbooks that would fit in with the Mendip Cave Registry and Archive's mission?

See MCRA Logbooks for a set of illustrious logbooks that are already on-line.

langcliffe

Thanks, Cookie and Pitlamp.

I was actually intending to sit on them, but I was wondering how smug I should feel whilst doing so.

Duncan Price

I would be interested in sight of them or a copy thereof for the purpose of editing the Somerset Sump Index.

Duncan

langcliffe

Duncan Price said:
I would be interested in sight of them or a copy thereof for the purpose of editing the Somerset Sump Index.

Hi, Duncan

I'll make sure that a copy is made and is available to everybody, but it won't be an overnight job. The quality of the paper is reminiscent of old poor quality lavatory tissue, and the typing / xeroxing is quite faint. I suspect that some of it was reproduced through carbon paper. Each page will need individual attention.

The reason why I say that it is the log of dives of the ICDG is that the folder is labelled "I.C.D.G. Diving Record". However, it does contain more than that, and I suspect that it became Mike's general cave diving report file.

The first dive recorded was in Abbots Pool on the 3rd November, 1964 and the last is dated 21st November 1965 in some indecipherable Welsh cave. Since Wooding, Savage, and Drew were admitted to the CDG on the 13th March 1965 (together with Uncle Oliver), I guess that all their subsequent dives were actually credited to the CDG (including the one that reached Swildons XII a week later), and were published by the CDG. Can anyone confirm that?

John

Rich West

Somewhere buried in my house I have a few Independent Cave Diving Group papers. I will start a search in the next few days & report back. I can confirm that M.J.W., P.F.D. and D.S. were admitted to the CDG at a meeting in the New Inn, Priddy on 13th March 1965. O.C.L. was required to fulfill two conditions - "(a) practice using less air and (b) complete 3 of the 5 cave dives required for Diving Members".

graham

Rich West said:
Somewhere buried in my house I have a few Independent Cave Diving Group papers. I will start a search in the next few days & report back. I can confirm that M.J.W., P.F.D. and D.S. were admitted to the CDG at a meeting in the New Inn, Priddy on 13th March 1965. O.C.L. was required to fulfill two conditions - "(a) practice using less air and (b) complete 3 of the 5 cave dives required for Diving Members".

Who is P.F.D.? Do you mean D.P.D.?

rhychydwr1

langcliffe said:
The first dive recorded was in Abbots Pool on the 3rd November, 1964

John

I remember it well.  Wooding was blowing a load of air.  He was lifelined, so I pulled him out at top speed with very little ceremony.  He was very cross.

graham

Dave Savage tells me that the logs were all typed up by his then girlfriend. There were no more than a few copies ever made, for him, Wooding, Drew and often Lloyd. They were not published any more widely at the time.

Whether any of the other copies are still extant is not currently known, though at least one of them may be.

langcliffe

graham said:
Dave Savage tells me that the logs were all typed up by his then girlfriend. There were no more than a few copies ever made, for him, Wooding, Drew and often Lloyd. They were not published any more widely at the time.

Whether any of the other copies are still extant is not currently known, though at least one of them may be.

Many thanks, Graham. It sounds as if it is worth investing some time in.

langcliffe

rhychydwr1 said:
langcliffe said:
The first dive recorded was in Abbots Pool on the 3rd November, 1964

John

I remember it well.  Wooding was blowing a load of air.  He was lifelined, so I pulled him out at top speed with very little ceremony.  He was very cross.

No reference to you pulling him out, but you and Ann were certainly there with 120' of full weight nylon rope, so it seems quite likely! You will also remember that at the time the air temperature was 5.5 degrees C... Nothing like a bit of trivia!

Pitlamp

Just had a thought - wasn't Mike "Fish" Jeanmaire involved with the ICDG at some stage? If so, it's just possible that Liz might have one of these copies. Maybe if anyone sees Liz it's worth just mentioning this and feeding back any response directly to Langcliffe by PM?

Pitlamp

You're probably right; most of the dive reports he was associated with were in the second half of the 60s. However he was pally with those who were in the ICDG and may just have accumulated the ICDG's literature. It was just a thought anyway.