Petzl Duo battery box/cable

alanw

A friend has just bought a customduo Omni v3, and on testing discovered that the cable from the battery box has a loose connection.

I had to scrap (though not throw out, it has already come in useful as a spare part donor) an early duo (two incandescent bulbs) many years ago for the same reason, and if I can get mine repaired, we might either be able to swap her innards into it, or use my experience to repair hers.

I'd drilled out the obvious yellow pins that hold the black battery contact holder to the shell at the time, but never managed to get any further.

Questions:
* are there any more non obvious places where the black plastic is held to the yellow?
* how is the battery cable grommet made waterproof? Is it glued in?
* Has anybody had any success in repairing this common fault?

Burt

They are not terribly repair-friendly. Be careful drilling out the yellow bits as its easy to hack off way too much.
The grommet is a press fit, but if you succeed with the repair I'd hot-melt glue it in (a new one of course!) or try bathroom silicone.

I repaired an old one but only through using another as a "donor".
It was never that good. :(

If the cable break is away from the battery box. i.e mid- cable, you could re solder it then waterproof it with some heatshrink.

Rachel

Thanks Burt - it's my Duo that's being problematic. I've had a loose connection for some time but now it seems that I've got two very loose connections - one where the cable goes into the headset and another where the cable goes into the battery box.  o_O

Uamhair

I bought a Duo and helmet combo but the yellow battery case has recently cracked open where the basal screw from the helmet went (I cant remember giving a good whack though so rather unimpressed).  As a result, the watertight bits are a waste of time seeing as there's a gaping hole at the bottom which has allowed corrosion of the battery contacts inside.

Is there a simple of way of replacing the battery pack section seeing as the front lamp section is perfectly fine or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a whole new one?  Or... Can I order a replacement part for the contacts and fill the hole in with something decent that won't dissolve away in water? 

bograt

Car body repair fibreglass or "Leakfix" type epoxy putty should repair the case if you roughen up the surface first, as for battery terminals, I don't know, I suppose it depends on how bad they are.