Caves & Cavings (Hamlyn Books)

Ian Adams

Caves and Caving (1966) by Hamlyn Books

A fascinating look at how caving was done in the 1960?s. Basic education includes how to use a carbide lamp. How helmets are essential for ?longer? trips, how to use a load bearing belt/life line and, don?t forget a notebook and two pencils.

There are (thankfully) some details of the dangers in caves; the main one being underground rivers. The advice given is, simply, not to enter them (underground rivers).

Interestingly, there is detail on (for instance) ?What actually is a cave??  The explanation is thorough and illuminating in that it attaches a large amount of peripheral information. The numerous diagrams help the understanding to sink in (pardon the pun).

Additionally, there is a whole section on the microflora and fauna of caves. There is also a nice tip on how to catch cave dwellers by sucking them up a tube (and a diagram to show you how to suck it). I have to confess I haven?t seen that before in this kind of book.

Lastly, there is a somewhat dated section on caving activities (and where to go). As much as the photography piece is exemplary, they missed a trick by not including video. After all, it was around in the 1960?s, right?

Not too shabby at all.

:)

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF4399a.jpg
    DSCF4399a.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 258

ZombieCake

missed a trick by not including video.
Back then it would have been Standard 8 film (also called Double 8), Super 8 came out same out in 1965.  Both film stocks are still available http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/film.html  Had a go at the Wittnerchrome Super 8 a couple of years back, nice, but quite pricy to experiment with - need to edit it before releasing here.
It is a good book though.

mrodoc

The cover photo appears to be taken in Balch Cave in Fairy Cave Quarry and it has always intrigued me (as an ex member) that he has a Cerberus sticker on his helmet. Anybody know who it is?

yrammy

Yes, an interesting little book that. We do have a copy in the library but ours is dated 1967.
Mary

Wren

I have 2 copies; one 1967 and a 1969 reprint, there appear to be minor differences.
I particularly  like the advice on page 37.  Oh how times have changed!!!