Re: BCA response to the Covid-19 Pandemic

Mark Wright

Is our representative body going to say anything about whether we should be going caving or do we have to wait another 10 minutes for Boris to tell us?

Mark

mikem

Cave rescue are saying please don't (it could cause a major PR problem for all of us if someone has a serious incident)

BCA Chair

The BCA did prepare a statement last week, and I am thankful to the Council members who contributed.

However, I was personally unavailable last week hence the delay on publishing this. However, as I'm sure you can imagine, the guidance has been changing at a pace faster than those working as volunteers can keep up. No sooner is something drafted and ready to go, it is out of date (and you can be sure that posting incorrect advice will be far more unpopular and dangerous than no advice at all).

Wording was planned to go online tonight, but now that's going to have to change again after these latest developments.

The advice until then is simple... follow Government advice and requirements. Ensure social distancing. It should not be too difficult to make a common sense judgement on what this means for caving, particularly in light of tonights announcement.

I remember a party game from childhood. Two teams would be lined up. A message would be written on a piece of paper and shown to the first person in the line. That person would then have to turn round and whisper the message to the person behind them. This continued down the line with the last person having to write the message on another piece of paper. The winning team was the one who got the final message closest to the original. Needless to say the original and final messages rarely resembled each other.

With children they had no hidden agendas. Adults however will have their inbuilt bias to put on their interpretation of the message.

Personally I'm pleased that the BCA have not issued their undoubtably "interpreted" guidance but left it as a straigtforward message from the top.

JasonC

Mark Wright said:
Boris has spoken.

It couldn't be any clearer.

Mark

While I'm not quibbling with what he said last night, I would hate anyone to get the impression that our dear leader's word should be taken as gospel on any other subject.  His veracity record is... imperfect.