Hand Jammer

tamarmole

The time is fast approaching when I need to replace my handled Petzl Jammer.  My thoughts are to go with the same again (if it's not broken don't fix it).  However is there anything out there that is worth a look before I press the button on the Petzl?

pwhole

I switched to a Basic years ago and found it far more useful as it was so much smaller, and didn't get jammed up in stuff when I was crawling about. And the fact that you can always reach the cam no matter how far you've stretched it! That said, the teeth were soft as shit on the new model and I got through two in two years, though I was doing digging + SRT every weekend, which is always going to be rougher. I'd had such good results from the Turbo Chest that I decided to give the Camp version of the Basic a go (Solo 2), and so far it's been fine - it's smaller but a bit heavier than the Basic and if the teeth are as tough as the Turbo Chest's, it should have a decent lifespan. Still have to use the handled ones for work though.

Fulk

I'm with pwhole on this ? I much prefer the non-handled version . . . but still, I guess that's a matter for personal preference.

Ian Ball

I switched to a basic from an ascension too, purely as a way of reducing the weight and bulk of my srt kit.  I had an older style one I'd not used so put it into use and I can't actually remember why I bought an ascension to start with now.

I think my next purchase might be a Kong Futura, that looks interesting.

Mark Wright

Fulk said:
I'm with pwhole on this ? I much prefer the non-handled version . . . but still, I guess that's a matter for personal preference.

Me too for both work and play.

Mark

JoshW

I switched to a basic and found it encouraged me to keep more vertical, and therefore more efficient, whilst prussicking. It also stopped my golfers elbow kicking off after a long day of messing about on rope.

ChrisJC

Tamarmole would welcome comments from people with beards as he has one that could easily get caught up in an ascender!

Chris.

Alex

I keep thinking of switching to a basic, to reduce the pain of whacking myself in the face with it, like I sometimes do when things get tight, and I unclipped from around me to pass a restriction.

118397666_10224428618241958_2272045555114727803_o.jpg

I also chipped a tooth with that darn thing on a different occasion, it's lethal. If there are any Descent creatures when I am caving, I won't need an ice-axe.

tamarmole

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can see the points in favour of a non handled jammer.  I do not to use the handle when I am prussiking, I tend to hold the rope above the jammer which means that I am not tempted to pull myself up on my arms but only pull myself into the rope.  Where I find the handle does score is for gear hauling.

Ian Ball

Alex said:
I keep thinking of switching to a basic, to reduce the pain of whacking myself in the face with it, like I sometimes do when things get tight, and I unclipped from around me to pass a restriction.

118397666_10224428618241958_2272045555114727803_o.jpg

I also chipped a tooth with that darn thing on a different occasion, it's lethal. If there are any Descent creatures when I am caving, I won't need an ice-axe.

wow!

I find I get my beard caught in my descender far more than a jammer.

rsch

I'm on my second Kong Futura, having liked the first one I wore out enough to replace it like for like. Pluses are the low bulk and the easy access to the cam which both makes it quite forgiving if you are ever careless enough to ram it up into the knot and allows a bit of thumb pressure on the back of the cam to ensure it bites as it starts to get worn and slip.