Bolting Resin

USSCC

Hiya I am setting up a new SRT training route on a section of old quarry I have what resin do you recommend to secure 150mm M12 Stainless Steel Thunder Bolts and Petzl anchors

Thanks

Liam

Attachments

• 20201001_181228.jpg
    20201001_181228.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 378
  • 20201001_181404.jpg
    20201001_181404.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 20201005_064016.jpg
    20201005_064016.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 159

Ian Ball

http://www.resinanchor.co.uk/

Give this site a look, it's got interesting testing of resins etc.

USSCC

Thanks guys and maybe your right maybe I'm being over cautious just want to do the right thing that's all

Cavematt

Worth a read of the article in CNCC newsletter #9 (March 2019)

https://cncc.org.uk/publications/

There is an article on the back page about the resins used for the stainless steel IC anchors, which may be useful. Not sure about the relevance to Thunderbolts and Petzl anchors though.

Bob Mehew

I should have added that possibly more important is what you are bolting into.  Even though it looks like a large 'brick' structure you may still need to spread the load into several bricks.  If it is concrete, then might you have reinforcing bar in the way? 

Pete K

If you're not sure about the process or picking the right anchor for the substrate, I highly recommend getting someone who is to help you or drop onto a bolting course yourself. Nothing more dangerous than a bad bolt that looks safe.
Happy to chat about anything on PM as I place a lot of anchors in a personal and professional context.

USSCC

Thanks I have lots of experience with thunder bolts in my work side of life. However I have never used Resin before with them I was reading a couple articles that threw me a little so I thought I sould ask.

Thanks
For all the advice and help

MarkS

Thunderbolts will gradually loosen if used for prussiking, and as far as I am aware they are never normally used with resin. I can't see how they could be.

I would suggest using a specific resin anchor (the same or equivalent to those installed under the BCA anchor scheme). Many of the BCA anchors are installed with Fischer FIS V resin, and more recently the higher spec. Fischer EM+ resin has also been used. Feel free to pm if you want further details.

pwhole

The main problem with concrete screws loosening is usually over-tightening, which introduces an angular stress (twist) into the anchor, steel being slightly flexible, which slowly untwists itself after use, leaving it loose next time. I usually tighten it up fully to make sure the thread is cut, then turn it back a quarter-turn to remove the twist and then tighten it back up 'just enough'. Generally it'll stay in place after that. We used fixed rigging on these every weekend for three years and never had one loosen after the procedure above. And as Mark points out, there is nowhere for resin to go, as the screw fills the hole completely.