A 1970 Peak Cavern question

Pitlamp

Can anyone confirm who was the custodian at Peak Cavern throughout 1970?

(Pretty sure this was before Gil Keaton's time but not 100% certain.)

Thanks.

pwhole

Hahah - you beat me to it. Me too ;)

What about Ed Mason or Garry Kitchen? They might know?

Goydenman

Pitlamp said:
Can anyone confirm who was the custodian at Peak Cavern throughout 1970?

(Pretty sure this was before Gil Keaton's time but not 100% certain.)

Thanks.

I used to work at Peak cavern during the Mid to late 70?s. Remember Gill arriving so confirm he was not there 1970. Can?t for the life of me remember who was before. Were the younger couple guy with dark hair before or after Gill? They were there when two lads climbed over from Peveril Castle and fell into the gorge....what year was that?

Pitlamp

I just had a direct message from a mate who was around at the time and he tells me it was Eric Savage. (Although it was well before my time, that's what I'd also thought; I just wanted confirmation.)

So - unless anyone violently disagrees - this one's now sorted.

Thanks to those who posted above trying to help.

Mrs Trellis

Yorkshire Star (?) 12/01/1982 "Man in a Million. - The death of Eric Savage, Custodian of Peak Cavern 1949-1975. " ref. Peak Speedwell System in British caving Library.

Mrs Trellis

I just called Wacker about Garland Day this year (99% off) and other matters including this one and he said Rob Lewis was after Eric Savage for a shiort period. Presumably Gill was after Rob.

In that library archive is an interesting piece on the history of Castleton by Peter Harrison including some info. on the Treak Cliff new series discovery and the original name of the Blue John Mine/Cavern.

droid

Mrs Trellis said:
Yorkshire Star (?) 12/01/1982 "Man in a Million. - The death of Eric Savage, Custodian of Peak Cavern 1949-1975. " ref. Peak Speedwell System in British caving Library.

Would that be the (Sheffield) Star, evening paper, the morning paper being the Sheffield Telegraph?

pwhole

Almost certainly, though the Telegraph is only once a week now, on Fridays. But The Star is a rag, and we don't read it around here, thank you very much ;)

Mark Wright

pwhole said:
Almost certainly, though the Telegraph is only once a week now, on Fridays. But The Star is a rag, and we don't read it around here, thank you very much ;)

My mum reads her copy every night and has done for as long as I can remember. She shares it with her next door neighbour.

Delivering it bought me my first Petzl ascender.

Mark

pwhole

Brilliant. I remember my dad chucking it across the living-room for some reason that I can't remember, and declaring that it was now banned in our house. After that I went to Uni, so god knows what they did for news, but I know the Rotherham Record didn't stretch to more than ten minutes - just long enough for a shit. I can only assume that my parents' subsequent lifelong addiction to Look North as being something to do with The Star ban ;)