Bagshawe Survey

tdobson

Has anyone (*ahem* Eldon?) published any recent surveys of Bagshawe Cavern?

I have the 1991 John Beck survey (which is a thing of beauty!), but my sense is that it is probably outdated in some less visited areas. Not showing the 2010 French Connection dig from what I can see.

COPD basically has a simplified version of the 1991 survey. Haven't looked at the peak caving survex - will that be any better?

Rob

As far as i'm aware the 2D survey has unfortunately not been formally updated since the 1991 version.

The 3D survex version is more uptodate with many of the recent finds included, however some is still missing.

Anyone fancy a big project?  :eek:

martinb

IIRC Dave Baines did a survey - complete with stick figures bending and crouching in all the correct places many moons ago......

tdobson

So many questions:

1) Is pool chamber so named because there's sometimes a pool there that sumps the entrance to Aven Series?
2) Is Aven series only really accessible from the New Series side?
3) What was the original route to full moon series? Was it through Aven series and the great aven?
4) In full moon series: is the way to moose's revenge down and to the left (where there are pretties and a plank), and the way to dead ahead dig: up, and straight on where the hose is coming from?
5) Is the way to the french connection dig over a chasm traverse of doom (possibly an old dig?) after all the pretties?
6) There are pitches at Madame Guillotine and Holywood bowl - when approaching Hollywood Bowl from the not-namread sump side?
7) Whilst I'm here, in lower series: does Claustrophobia get any bigger or better? I think we pushed it about 20m but realised we had to reverse the flat out crawl-squeeze backwards so chose not to.

SamT

tdobson said:
So many questions:

1) Is pool chamber so named because there's sometimes a pool there that sumps the entrance to Aven Series? Yep
2) Is Aven series only really accessible from the New Series side? Yep though pool chamber
3) What was the original route to full moon series? Was it through Aven series and the great aven? Yep - through the cosmic juice extractor sump.  This route is no longer to be used now that the snakes pyjamas has been connected to taylors way
4) In full moon series: is the way to moose's revenge down and to the left (where there are pretties and a plank), and the way to dead ahead dig: up, and straight on where the hose is coming from? Yep
5) Is the way to the french connection dig over a chasm traverse of doom (possibly an old dig?) after all the pretties? Yep
6) There are pitches at Madame Guillotine and Holywood bowl - when approaching Hollywood Bowl from the not-namread sump side? The hollywood bowl used to be accessed via the aven series (up pitch, and through Namraed).  Its is a large chamber that has some fixed ropes that lead up to a roof level passage that takes you into the High level Hollywood bowl series. Ropes/anchors now very old.  Namread is only ever dry in the driest of droughts.  The other way is now via the french connection and via an Up pitch up Madame Guillotine, which means you'd approach the HB from above, and down the fixed ropes.
7) Whilst I'm here, in lower series: does Claustrophobia get any bigger or better? I think we pushed it about 20m but realised we had to reverse the flat out crawl-squeeze backwards so chose not to. Dont know, never bothered with it