Pitlamp

The Peak District, Landscape and Geology  By Tony Waltham

Published 2021, Crowood Press, Ramsbury, Marlborough SN8 2HR, UK
ISBN 978 1 78500 874 0, www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781785008740
See also, in the same series: The Yorkshire Dales: Landscape and Geology

160 pages, 215x165mm
196 colour photographs
48 maps and diagrams

Covers both the White and Dark Peak areas. I've just been asked to review this book so have read it from cover to cover. It's really good, in my opinion!

Just flagging it up for those who would appreciate it. Cover price is ?16-99.

Pitlamp

Sorry - I should have made it clear; the above isn't the review of course; I was asked by the editor of a publication to review it. The above is merely to let fellow forum users know the book's available. My review is likely to be fairly complementary!

(Thanks are due to the person who PM'd me, who misunderstood my purpose here.)

pwhole

I had my copy waiting for me in the post, after a week stranded elsewhere in hospital - it's a beautiful thing, and the perfect recuperation material. Even a flick-through was thrilling, and just what I needed right now - though I admit that's hardly a review either. My recommendation is buy it immediately :)

ChrisJC

I will definitely be buying a copy. I just need to decide whether to get it from the publisher or Moore Books.

Chris.

mch

Pitlamp said:
It's good to support Moore Books . . .
Can't see it on Mike's website at the moment but I'm sure he'll be stocking it. I'll wait until I can get it from him.

droid

Thanks for the heads up John.

It'll be good company for the books by Trevor and Wolverson Cope.

pwhole

It's the single reference I've always wanted, simple enough for it to go in quick, but with all the important detail included, and beautifully illustrated and laid out. Still not a review, but I've had a chance to have a proper look now. I seem to remember faux-moaning to a certain cave scientist a few years ago (possibly at TDF's memorial do in Buxton) that it was all very well having all these great books about the Dales, but with barely nothing on the Peak District it seemed rather 'unfair', and it was mentioned jokingly that Tony was 'on it' - and here it is. It'll probably take up much of this evening's entertainment.
:clap:

Pitlamp

I agree - it's got just the right amount of information to allow a good understanding but never too much so us mere mortals get confused. That's a rare skill which Tony's shown many times over the years. The book's not so thick that it's offputting, yet it's got a shed load of valuable information in it.

Incidentally the review I was asked to write is for BCRA's Cave & Karst Science journal,which should be published in a few weeks, if anyone wants to see it.