Calcium carbide - freecycle

Steve M

I have found about 3kg of calcium carbide in a shed. In Middleham, N Yorks.
Dry and safe, in the old rocket tube it was bought in by my rx probs 30 years ago!
Who wants it?
Pretty sure it cant go by courier, but maybe it can, ideally recipient can collect.

Steve

aricooperdavis

Steve M said:
Pretty sure it cant go by courier, but maybe it can, ideally recipient can collect.

It depends on the courier - many local couriers accept appropriately packed and labelled dangerous goods (carbide is a class 4.3) but charge a premium. I've used DHL for dangerous goods before, but I think we had to set up a pre-approved account. Basically, collection is likely to be much cheaper!

tomferry

I still have 4 and a bit kg I going to take mine out somewhere it?s always interesting using it  Especially the cap mounted ones a tad scary having a bomb on ya head ! :LOL:

PeteHall

I've got less than a kilo of the stuff now and not sure where to buy it any more,  so generally saved for special occasions.  :)

tomferry

Last time I got mine Pete was from eBay from a German seller, their was a  caving shop that still sells it in England I cannot remember their name I am afraid but they was out of stock when I rang it sells out very fast they said  .

moorebooks

Tomferry said:
Last time I got mine Pete was from eBay from a German seller, their was a  caving shop that still sells it in England I cannot remember their name I am afraid but they was out of stock when I rang it sells out very fast they said  .

Probably caving supplies in Buxton

Mike

PeteHall

That's where I last saw any, but I'm rarely in that part of the country.  I thought I'd heard that they didn't stock it any more.

moorebooks

PeteHall said:
That's where I last saw any, but I'm rarely in that part of the country.  I thought I'd heard that they didn't stock it any more.

You are correct , just looked at their website and its no longer stocked. Although they sellall the parts for the the premier lights

Mike