Eldon Hole Event - Sunday 11th July

DCA

There will be a joint DCRO / DCA / Historic England event occurring at Eldon Hole this Sunday (11th July).
Cavers are asked to stay away if at all possible so that the area does not get congested with cars/cavers/ropes.
Many thanks and sorry for any inconvenience if you were planning a trip.

Pete Knight
On behalf of DCA and DCRO

[gmod]Corrected date as pointed out by Nick below: was 13th and changed to 11th[/gmod]

DCA

Thanks. I just got back from work and was rushing to correct that mistake that a hundred people messaged me about while I was underground!

littlelegs

Exciting news, hope today goes well. Loved reading about the progress, looking forward to hearing more.
Good luck all involved.

Mark Wright

What a day.

The DCRO did an excellent job of getting the archaeologists down to the Eldon Hole dig and back out again safely today.

Mark Richardson and myself provided the safety cover while they were in the dig proper and, from chatting with them back on the surface, I'm pretty hopeful the powers that be will soon grant permission for us to carry on digging it again.

It's taken 5 years, but they now have a much better understanding of the dig and a much more realistic idea of how any future finds will be logged.

A big thanks must go to everyone involved in todays efforts.

I'll post some drone footage of the event when I've worked out how to do it.

Mark

pwhole

I'll second that - the operation went as smooth as silk, with very fast and safe descents/ascents, and hopefully I got some decent photos too - will check soon.

Excellent fun :)

pwhole

Top: The scene at surface.
Middle: Professor Andrew Chamberlain being lowered down.
Bottom: Archeologist Tim Allen being hauled back up from the bottom. (No, not 'our' Tim  ;)).

Attachments

• _IGP5395_sm.jpg
    _IGP5395_sm.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 123
  • _IGP5414_sm.jpg
    _IGP5414_sm.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 123
  • _IGP5477_sm.jpg
    _IGP5477_sm.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 115

Speleotron

Archeologists being lowered down into a cave full of human bones, that's proper Indiana Jones stuff! Must have been a brilliant day out for the prof and team and will be retold a few times (unless I'm wrong to assume it's special for them as they're all cavers etc.).

T pot 2

A huge well done to all involved and an even bigger one to mark wright for his dogged determination to continue this project 👌👌👌