Caving accommodation in the Peak District - 14th August

Cavematt

Hi all; Does anyone know of any caving huts in the Peak District that are accepting visitors this month (Four from York Caving Club on Saturday 14th August). The Orpheus and TSG are both closed to overnight stays from visiting clubs, and these are the only two huts I know in the Peaks. Happy to start checking out youth hostels/non-caver bunkbarns etc (there are loads), but thought I would check here first before shelling out ;)

Alex

It's strange caving huts are still not accepting bookings, I thought they are allowed now?

Paul Marvin

There is a good B&B  in my village Nr matlock that I can recommend BUT its about 45 mins from Castleton ? and the village has the best fish and chips for MILES !!

Cavematt

I think a lot are limiting availability to members only to give members a chance to enjoy the hut before visitors start turning up. Which is fair.

Cavematt

Proximity to Castleton not important... we are motorbiking around the UK, not caving (for once)... but am tight fisted and was hoping not to pay full B&B rates  ;)

Paul Marvin

Cavematt said:
Proximity to Castleton not important... we are motorbiking around the UK, not caving (for once)... but am tight fisted and was hoping not to pay full B&B rates  ;)

My cave mate has just stopped ther to do a course up this way was ?55 p night but lovely he said, are you camping ?

Pitlamp

Matt - try Alan Medhurst's place at Castleton. "Pindale Farm Outdoor Centre". Offers both camping and bunk house type accommodation. Safe parking overnight and Alan's a caver (a former TSG member).

https://www.pindalefarm.co.uk/

Mark Wright

Pitlamp said:
Matt - try Alan Medhurst's place at Castleton. "Pindale Farm Outdoor Centre". Offers both camping and bunk house type accommodation. Safe parking overnight and Alan's a caver (a former TSG member).

https://www.pindalefarm.co.uk/

And he?s a biker with a garage

Pete K

+1 for Pindale Farm.
FYI the TSG has a meeting on Friday night to vote on what we do next with regards to member and non-member access at the Chapel. Any change to the current situation will be communicated here.

Cavematt

Thanks all for your responses... UKC is great  ;)

Pete, can you PM me if TSG changes policy to allow visitors (now only three of us) for mid August; Would be my first visit to TSG for nearly a decade (the walls had just been painted pink if I remember) and would be nice to reacquaint myself with the place! If not, I'll get Pindale or somewhere similar booked.

Thanks everyone!!!

A_Northerner

Cavematt said:
Would be my first visit to TSG for nearly a decade (the walls had just been painted pink if I remember)

The walls, floors, and ceiling have all been painted magnolia during lockdown - I find it quite disorientating in the Bear Pit now, having every surface be the same colour  :LOL:

Benfool

I fondly remember an evening when the Eldon had their Christmas dinner at the TSG. They got hammered and threw paint, cement and nails around the kitchen - while me, Big Jim and Bob Toogood cowered upstairs drinking port. I remember getting up in the morning to a scene of utter carnage and a load of very hungover Eldon members looking sheepish trying to clean up!

I think that might be when it got painted pink to try and put it right again...

pwhole

Well they're not properly hut-trained, that's the problem. Though I guess it does get a bit cramped and stressful in the Bagshaw hut - and the creosote fumes can't help either :)

2xw

Ben used to sleep in the livestock shed at Rowter for a ?1 didn't he? Maybe you can try that Matt!

Jenny P

Orpheus have just agreed to open up to visiting groups from 1st. September.  We already have a few bookings for later this autumn and at least one for spring 2022.  We wanted to be a little wary as to how the "great easement" actually went before we agreed to open up to visitors but, so far, things seem to be OK.

We are reserving August Bank Holiday w/e for our own members to have their twice-postponed midsummer BBQ at the Hut.

As long as Covid-19 doesn't come back to bite us later this winter and lead to more government-imposed lock-downs, we expect that Orpheus will be back to as near normal as we can be after 1st. September.

Pete K

Just to update everyone, the TSG meeting last night unanimously agreed to reopen the Chapel to both members and non-members. Some basic restrictions remain, and we will ask everyone to follow some basic guidance. Details will need to be updated on our website, but enquiries can be made from today for overnight or day use through the Hut Bookings Secretary.
https://www.tsgcaving.co.uk/content/accommodation
Like the OCC, if the pandemic situation goes south again, things will change! But for now we are welcoming cavers back to the Chapel safely.
Pete K, TSG Chair