UK Caving, like Adit now! What do you think?

lumenchild

It would be cool if you could upload your caving trip photos to your profile to share them amongst the community, on the UK Caving Forum,

Adit Now was great the way you could collectively contribute to photos taken at Mines,

If Uk caving did allow this feature we would have a collection of photos for comparison over time, some cavers on here have some really old old caving photos, and by being able to compare old to new it would tell a story on how the caves have changed since then, E.G. collapses, erosion, missing Stals, it would be beneficial to those wanting to research history through photographic evidence,
By doing this we can collectively contribute to chronologically telling the history of each cave and its story,

What is your opinion on this subject, do you think it would be a good idea, let's discuss below the pro's and cons of this and what you think  :coffee:

tomferry

It is a really good idea but their are many issues in Storing all of these photographs! Which makes this very complicated, I think this is the reason why we have to host are photos on different Sites ie Flickr  , I am sure some one shall come along more specific! Than me  (y)

Cantclimbtom

a vaguely related question: the wiki, example:  https://ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Upper_Flood_Swallet
what happened to it? Was it abandoned

SamT

Cantclimbtom said:
a vaguely related question: the wiki, example:  https://ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Upper_Flood_Swallet
what happened to it? Was it abandoned

Err no - as per your link - its still there.  Available to anyone who can be arsed to update.

Cantclimbtom

SamT said:
Err no - as per your link - its still there.  Available to anyone who can be arsed to update.
Oh, OK?  I can't edit. In fact I can't login to the wiki, although as you see I posting here I can login to ukcaving.com

royfellows

If you were logged in to Aditnow when Simon converted it to Read Only, you can still get in, but if you were not, then you wont. Suppose it was a bit of a lottery.
Hope this explains things.

royfellows

We should all be grateful to the wonderful people who run UKC for giving us this facility. AN will be back, but I hope that most of us still post on here as well when this happens.

Paul Marvin

royfellows said:
We should all be grateful to the wonderful people who run UKC for giving us this facility. AN will be back, but I hope that most of us still post on here as well when this happens.

I think we all are Roy that goes without saying  (y)  ;)

tomferry

For the first chance in history I am going to jump in and say of topic peoples  :mad:  :LOL:

I think the question was can uk caving host photos like Aditnow did to become a cave data base ?

Cantclimbtom

They probably could, and link to albums from wiki pages to make it structured. (If they restored access for people to login and edit the wiki) but there's licensing worries, hosting/storage costs, administration etc. It'd be quite a big commitment on top of their existing.

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
For the first chance in history I am going to jump in and say of topic peoples  :mad:  :LOL:

I think the question was can uk caving host photos like Aditnow did to become a cave data base ?

Doesn't say that in the title ??  :-\

"UK Caving, like Adit now! What do you think?"