Questions for Rick Stanton re; Aquanaut

adventurebarbie

So this Kendal Mountain Festival I'll be interviewing Rick Stanton about his fantastically well-written, and refreshingly honest book - Aquanaut: A life beneath the surface.

What should I be asking him? What do you want to know?

I'm keen to know what struck you, what intrigued you? astonished you?

What Q's would your non caving mates be asking?

Thanks in advance
Steph

Paul Marvin

Did the kids actually scuba dive out or swim on a small surface cos of falling water levels with scuba gear on ???

:-\

mikem

Helps if you've read the book...

Some info here (& other threads):
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24503.0

PeteHall

Paul Marvin said:
Did the kids actually scuba dive out or swim on a small surface cos of falling water levels with scuba gear on ???

Is this supposed to be a serious question? Suggest that the answer is pretty clear if you read Rick's book (or any other report from the rescue).

Paul Marvin

PeteHall said:
Paul Marvin said:

Is this supposed to be a serious question? Suggest that the answer is pretty clear if you read Rick's book (or any other report from the rescue).

I haven't got round to reading much at the moment or recently, too much going on with family health issues hence the question, and yes it was serious otherwise I wouldn't have asked . Why jump on peoples back for asking a question ?

Also the original post was " What Q's would your non caving mates be asking? "not people in the cave and cave dive community !

Steve Clark

I'd be interested to know more about the home-made diving gear.

I mean, it clearly works, but why? Is it just because it's not commercially available otherwise? Is it a chore to develop and just seen as tool for the job or is there a joy/satisfaction in making/testing/using stuff built from scratch like that?

With unlimited resources, what would he choose to make(/have made) as an ultimate tool for cave diving?

PeteHall

Paul Marvin said:
I haven't got round to reading much at the moment or recently, too much going on with family health issues hence the question, and yes it was serious otherwise I wouldn't have asked . Why jump on peoples back for asking a question ?

Also the original post was " What Q's would your non caving mates be asking? "not people in the cave and cave dive community !

Sorry Paul, not "jumping on your back", just that this is an interview about his book, so asking a question that is thoroughly answered in the book seems to miss the point.

The answer, being that yes, the boys were carried out fully underwater, but they weren't exactly "scuba diving". They were totally sedated and breathing oxygen through a full face mask, then carried though the sumps one at a time, with one diver per boy.

Either way, I would thoroughly recommend reading Aquanaut.

Paul Marvin

PeteHall said:
Paul Marvin said:

Sorry Paul, not "jumping on your back", just that this is an interview about his book, so asking a question that is thoroughly answered in the book seems to miss the point.

The answer, being that yes, the boys were carried out fully underwater, but they weren't exactly "scuba diving". They were totally sedated and breathing oxygen through a full face mask, then carried though the sumps one at a time, with one diver per boy.

Either way, I would thoroughly recommend reading Aquanaut.

Apology accepted Pete  (y),I will get round to reading it one day the little spare time I get at the moment is spent doing active things .

badger

suppose most of these would be what cavers/cave divers would wan to know rather then general public,
1, how was the decision made for jason to be the first diver
2, what would have happened had the first boy died, as we know there was no plan B
3, does rick know why ketamine was chosen
4, was there at any point the local governor accepted the realities of the situation
5, was the scenario ever discussed, to jetison the boy to save themselves

cant remember if or any of those questions were answered in ricks book,

yrammy

Can I ask about the film too? I would love to know who much real footage there was outside the cave. Also, hoe on earth did they manage to produce such a brilliant docu during COVID times.

Both the book and film  - excellent. And I have read all the books as British Caving Library librarian.
Mary

Duncan Price

badger said:
suppose most of these would be what cavers/cave divers would wan to know rather then general public,
1, how was the decision made for jason to be the first diver
2, what would have happened had the first boy died, as we know there was no plan B
3, does rick know why ketamine was chosen
4, was there at any point the local governor accepted the realities of the situation
5, was the scenario ever discussed, to jetison the boy to save themselves

cant remember if or any of those questions were answered in ricks book,

3 & 4 are in the book(s) 2 & 5 was alluded to in the documentary film or live Q&A that followed

...but they are all good questions.  As Mary's questions about the mechanics of filming - the producer addressed some of this - short answer - it was tricky.

Ed W

One thing that springs to my mind is that if (god forbid) there were ever a similar situation, what would Rick do differently (if anything) based on the experience of the rescue?  Allied to that is there any specific equipment and/or methods that he feels need to be developed to better tackle such a situation?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I'd ask Ric if he thinks any questions have been left unanswered.  Seriously.  There has been umpteen books, talks and documentaries on the rescue which have been pretty open and frank already.

How has it changed his life with all the global publicity, films, praise, medals and money [rightly] bestowed on the rescuers.  How does this compare to other major rescues he has been involved in?

(y)

adventurebarbie

Steve Clark said:
I'd be interested to know more about the home-made diving gear.

I mean, it clearly works, but why? Is it just because it's not commercially available otherwise? Is it a chore to develop and just seen as tool for the job or is there a joy/satisfaction in making/testing/using stuff built from scratch like that?

With unlimited resources, what would he choose to make(/have made) as an ultimate tool for cave diving?

Thanks for this. i'm gonna ask this one :)

Steve Clark

adventurebarbie said:
Thanks for this. i'm gonna ask this one :)

I was hoping to come to the talk, but it's our club (Fylde MC) annual dinner on Saturday evening.

There's also a quote in the book somewhere about surveying being boring and no one ever bothers to go back to document their deeper exploration. Well, we did bother for the first 2km or so of Rick (& Jason's) exploration in St Georges, Lot. It's taken about 8 years so far and a lot of helium.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watp4mkphcsd1zj/St_Georges_1-1000_v1.4.pdf?dl=0

Would be good to send them a copy if they are interested.

Benfool

Didn't Rick and Jason only explore after sump 7?

Good survey though! It was really useful when I was planning the dive through sump 2.

B