Austria....

honei

After many years of photography, some GB photos have accumulated...
I just want to share with you a little bit.

I will not give any information about locations. Only one thing:
All photos were taken in the historic silver mining in Tyrol.

Tyrolean miners emigrated in the 15/16th century also to England - e.g. Lake District.

Therefore, there are often many parallels to be found....

Best regards!
H.

HLP_5100.jpg by Lu Pics, auf Flickr

ChrisJC

honei said:
Tyrolean miners emigrated in the 15/16th century also to England - e.g. Lake District.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/england/cumbria/article_1.shtml

Chris.

honei

https://www.uibk.ac.at/ipoint/news/2015/vorgestellt-im-bergbaudienst-ihrer-majestaet.html.de

Tyroleans are not Germans... :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

(But also Germans were there ;-) )

Flotsam

There would be another significant advantage to the Crowns of employing a German workforce. The Germans would more than likely to be Protestant whereas the local population may have retained Catholic sympathies. Apart from the locals resenting the miners taking their girls, religion may have been another soorce of fiction.

ChrisJC

honei said:
https://www.uibk.ac.at/ipoint/news/2015/vorgestellt-im-bergbaudienst-ihrer-majestaet.html.de

Tyroleans are not Germans... :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

(But also Germans were there ;-) )

I am no expert, but I don't think Germany existed in the 1560's as we know it today. This map is from the 1640's and I am not sure what it means!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_in_the_early_modern_period#/media/File:Holy_Roman_Empire_1648.svg

But I am sure they spoke a Germanic language...  ;)

Chris.

ChrisJC

Paul Marvin said:
OMG its like saying the Welsh are English  :cry:

Well strictly speaking they are!, unlike the Scots. But let's not go down that exciting avenue!

Chris.

AR

honei said:
We call it "schr?mmstollen"

In england it is called...... "coffin level" ??

Coffin level is indeed what we call them over here, and that's a wonderful photo!

NeilC

ChrisJC said:
Paul Marvin said:
OMG its like saying the Welsh are English  :cry:

Well strictly speaking they are!, unlike the Scots. But let's not go down that exciting avenue!

Chris.

That hasn't been the case since the passage of the Welsh Language Act 1967.

AlexR

Sauguad! Eins der besten S/W Photographien die mir in letzter Zeit unter die Nase gekommen sind.
[Awesome! One of the best B/W photos I've seen in a while.]

The international connections in mining are quite interesting, recently(ish) went to Slovenia where a lot of workers were encouraged to immigrate from S Tirol; they brought know-how of mining and smelting to the area. Whilst a lot of their influences are now somewhat hidden, the canal systems they constructed to power e.g. crushing machinery and the like is very much visible.

What is now the United Kingdom has been an entity of sorts for a fairly long time owing to its geography, the same cannot be said for present day Germany, Italy and to a lesser degree Austria (or Austria-Hungary, the latter part of which got badly shafted in the world wars). Bit odd how we view everything from the angle of nation states, seeing as that's a pretty modern concept.
Even in the present day, Tyroleans (be they Italian or Austrian) have more in common with Bavarians than with their nation counterparts from Sicily or Vienna. Conversely I feel culturally closer to somebody from Innsbruck than Hamburg.
Sorry, got pretty rambly and OT.

Cantclimbtom

Flotsam said:
There would be another significant advantage to the Crowns of employing a German workforce. The Germans would more than likely to be Protestant whereas the local population may have retained Catholic sympathies. Apart from the locals resenting the miners taking their girls, religion may have been another soorce of fiction.
Yes but there are disadvantages too. I'm thinking of rivalry, xenophobia and one side believing the other has some benefit they don't have leading to strikes, disputes and setting off a stick of bang outside the quarry manager's cottage - such as Wales and Northern Italian miners

AR

Another good photo, and it looks like British miners were not alone in their habit of leaving old shoes and clogs behind when they finished working a mine!