University Club Insurance

S

Scutchamer

Does anyone know/understand how insurance works for university caving clubs, this is a copy of an email I sent to the BCA a month ago so may not make complete sense when read as a forum post. (Have also corrected a few maths errors f the peopel at the BCA are reading it!)

There are a few queries regarding the BCA insurance that I we have problems with.

The first is that the membership forms are a tad confusing, it appears insurance runs on a calendar year basis, as in January-December although it implies elsewhere that it is financial year, which is it? This is also a problem as the club runs on a an academic year basis October-September and therefore people will be insured as members of the BCA in our club while not necessarily being club members. Assuming the insurance runs on a calendar year basis to insure our members for the full academic year will cost us £10, not £8 as we will pay £2 for September-December and then a further £8 in January. Is there any chance the university insurance can be adjusted to account for this?

With members of the club that are members of other clubs, for instance I have BCA membership and insurance through Hades Caving Club, do I pay any membership fees through the university club at all? The FAQs and insurance forms again contradict, from the FAQs I get the impression I should actually pay a non-caver rate of £5 (or in reality £6.25)?

Also as a university caving club we get many members registering that never attend a trip, training, socials or anything at all. As we don't know who these people are at the begining of the year is it possible to register every club member as non-caving until they sign up for a trip and then upgrade their membership to caver before they go away? I don't think this goes against the 'honesty' bit referred to in the FAQs section as every member that caves with the club will be insured as such and non-cavers will be insured appropriately.

[Additional to original email] I read on these forums that "guests* can cave insured as long as they do not exceeed 10% of total membership" rule may be abolished, presumably as to cave with the uni club you MUST be a member even if you only come once they cannot be passed off as guests*. In other words, the people that come once and never show up again, for the first trip can they be considered guests, and for any subsequent they should be insured properly?

On a seperate note the university has a "Why don't u" campaign, the idea is that people can try out a sport on the cheap before they decide to join any clubs, if we participate in this next year running a day trip for instance can they be considered guests and if they take out membership as a result of this day have their insurance upgraded?

*the technical term used in the insurance FAQs may not be guest, but I forget

What is the time scale between upgrading non-caving to caving insurance? For instance if a 'non-caver' decides (s)he wants to attend the weeekend trip at 3pm on Friday, if we post a cheque and a form at 3:15pm will they be insured (on saturday) even if the form won't arrive at the BCA until saturday?
[end of additional stuff]

Basically the club used to have an annual budget in the region of <£1000, we got this increased to £3000 this year due to equipment problems, we're hoping to get some money from the university to put towards insurance, but with 80 members this will be about £640 (possibly £800) and we're trying to cut costs with the non-caver/caver bit. At an estimate approximately 1/4 of the club is non-caving and about a 1/4 cave regularly. If we can't get the insurance down a bit we won't get insured at all as we are already covered for caving for free under the Students Union policy, albeit this doesn't include 3rd party land owner liability which is our main reason for looking at insurance.

To summarise: How does the insurance work, we don't have a clue and the website is over-complicated, poorly laid out and generally confusing to use. While it appears we are trying to swindle money out of the BCA, we cannot really afford to spend a lot of money on BCA membership (insurance would be ~£640, total club income for 2005 was £900) (the club IS however a BCA member). We already have to spend a lot of money on equipment retirement and procurement. Currently we don't have BCA insurance at all, is this better or worse than doing it on the cheap?

Any help would be greatly recieved!

damian

I'm busy (at work) at the moment, but can answer most of your questions and will very happily do so on the phone this evening if you're who I think you are!

Alternatively you could come caving this weekend and we'll talk about it in the pub!  ;) ;)

graham

All those questions can be answered quite easily. If damian can't help you, pm me & we can talk about it.

Most importantly, IF you are actually covered under the Students Union policy for caving - and you need to check this explicitly because insurers have different ways of dealing with this issue - then you do not need BCA PI cover, except if you wish to enter a few (very few) caves where the landowner both requires PI cover and refuses to recognise any policy other than the BCA one.

nickwilliams

Scutchamer said:
<snip>
this is a copy of an email I sent to the BCA a month ago so may not make complete sense when read as a forum post. <Big <snip>

Where did you send your e-mail to? I have not recieved it and insurance queries are supposed to come to me.

If you'd care to re-send it to n-dot-williams-at-bcra-dot-org-dot-uk I'll be happy to answer your questions. I can't do it on line right now since I am sitting in Schipol waiting for a flight back to the UK, and my web access is too flaky, but I'll happily try to get back to you by e-mail over the weekend or early next week.

Regards

Nick.

S

Scutchamer

damian said:
I'm busy (at work) at the moment, but can answer most of your questions and will very happily do so on the phone this evening if you're who I think you are!

Alternatively you could come caving this weekend and we'll talk about it in the pub!  ;) ;)

Heh, in Durham this weekend! But will give you a bell tonight sometime.

graham said:
Most importantly, IF you are actually covered under the Students Union policy for caving - and you need to check this explicitly because insurers have different ways of dealing with this issue - then you do not need BCA PI cover, except if you wish to enter a few (very few) caves where the landowner both requires PI cover and refuses to recognise any policy other than the BCA one.

Spent a few hours about a month ago running around from department to department trying to find out how we were insured. Eventually tracked down the woman in charge of insuring the students union and she said Endsleigh gets given a list of clubs and activities and insures the lot in one lump sum, am trying to get hold of the exact policy currently, but basically they know there is a caving club that "undertakes speleological and canyoning activities;" From what she said it is just PL insurance. They also insure all of our equipment against fire, theft and flood damage. I'm not sure if this definition of the clubs activities is water tight though.

The students union staff don't know anything about the policy and half of the staff I spoke to initially thought we were insured as a BUSA (British University Sports Association) club i.e. rowing/rugby. General ignorance amoung SU staff and the landowner liability bit of the BCA policy is what's making me investigate BCA insurance. Currently we take comfort in that anyone wishing to sue the club will probably sue the SU or university as they have a lot more money than the students or the club.

nickwilliams said:
Where did you send your e-mail to? I have not recieved it and insurance queries are supposed to come to me.

I sent it to insurance [at] british-caving [dot] org [dot] uk it's the address that pops up when you click your name on the website. It didn't bounce back to me so possibly it's forwarding it to the wrong address. I'll email it to you now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

nickwilliams

Hasn't got to me yet so there maybe a problem. Please PM me your name, tel. number and e-mail address.

Nick.

S

Scutchamer

Cheers Nick! Your email was really helpful, do you mind if I post it here for anyone else?

Chris J

A few years ago I managed to get our SU to get a letter of Endsleigh (I was AU officer so that helped a bit!!) saying that yes caving was covered by the PL part of the SU insurance - but not cave diving.

This is all well and good but I believe it only applies on recognised university trips (Do you have to fill in a form before you go?). Plus I've always assumed Endsleigh were happy to cover caving as they assumed (as it was our AU's policy to get clubs insured with their NGBs) that we were  already covered by 'proper' caving insurance. In other words I rekon if all the uni clubs thought they'd just get away with the Endsleigh insurance and ignore BCA then Endsleigh might think twice about their cover.

My advice has alway been to get 'proper' caving PL insurance, rather than  try to rely on something which is a bit of a stop gap.

Most universities will want their clubs to be associated and insured by their NGB's - I'm sure this is even in their risk assessments and guidelines!! - Your Uni will want you to be part of BCA - and very often will help pay towards this.

ianball11

Good post Chris, is the BCA the British caving ngb?  :-\

Did the Endsleigh letter differentiate between officers of the club and member to member insurance or was it all covered?  It's in the back of my mind that the insurance offered by BCA and Endsleigh differ over member to member cover, may be a difference in terminology, I cant remember.

Ian B.

nickwilliams

Scutchamer said:
Cheers Nick! Your email was really helpful, do you mind if I post it here for anyone else?

Sorry, I was away when your reply was posted and so I did not see it. No, I don't mind at all.

Nick.

S

Scutchamer

Chris J said:
This is all well and good but I believe it only applies on recognised university trips (Do you have to fill in a form before you go?).

Yes only 'official club trips' are insured. We have to fill in a form but this doesn't neccesarily define an official trip, official trips are defined in the constitution as, any one of:

• publicised as a Club meeting on the Club website, on Club leaflets or
newsletters, through the Club notice board or sent out via email to all members
who have provided a valid email address, but not by other means;
• uses transport booked by the Students’ Union;
• uses any Club equipment (excluding that signed out under section 2.5 and 2.6);
• uses Students’ Union funding;
• is registered with the Students’ Union.

So generally anything is insured, sections 2.5 and 2.6 refer to loaning kit to members for their own uses. I'm trying to obtain the policy document at the moment, just need to find the right member of staff to ask.

Chris J said:
My advice has alway been to get 'proper' caving PL insurance, rather than  try to rely on something which is a bit of a stop gap.

We want to get it but it's a question of price, other clubs at uni are very cheap and paying £8 for PL puts at a higher price than most outdoors pursuits clubs, we're going to have a budgeting meeting and work out if the club can part pay for it, we don't have to pay until January anyway if I understand Nick correctly.