Aquaquipment wetsuits

Pitlamp

Two questions: does anyone know what happened to "Aqauquipment", the St.Albans company which used to supply wetsuit kits for home building? They also used to sell off the peg wetsuits under the name "Dolphin".

Secondly, is anyone aware of any UK companies which currently supply kits for making self build wetsuits? I just don't seem to be able to find the sort of wetsuit I want anywhere, so am looking at the self build option.

C

cucc Paul

Theres a place in St Davids (Pembrokshire) which will make custom wet suits to order, put in extra reinforcement and what have you I cant remember the contact details though (sorry) but you maybe able to find them on the web some where

paul

I'm pretty sure that Aquaquipment closed down a long tome ago. I bought my first wetsuit as a kit there in the 70's.

Sorry I don't know of any other suppliers of kits - there probably isn't the demand any more as the "off the peg" version was not much more expensive.

Pitlamp

Aye - I thought they'd closed down - I was just wondering if they got absorbed into a bigger outfit.

I really want to make my own as I just can't find what I want off the peg. So, if anyone else can help with advice I'd be most grateful.

Mark

Here you go John, buy a sheet of neoprene some glue and some tape and download this pattern and mess about with it until you get what you want

http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/catalog/Frame_New.cfm

Pitlamp

I couldn't get it to work either - but what came up looked like a sewing shop website. Is the thing you're suggesting specifically a wetsuit pattern?

Ta.

Pitlamp

I tried that, thanks to your posting - and it also worked this time! But . . . that's not the sort of wetsuit I'm after.

Actually I've got a loft full of old wetsuits and I suppose I could just chop one up to use as a template then make my own pattern.

So here's another question; anyone know where I can buy 5 mm, 6 mm or 7 mm SINGLE lined neoprene which is stretchy for caving comfort but also has reasonable abrasion resistance?