Scurion lense modification

Pete K

Okay, I'm fully braced for the impending posts along the theme of "you spent a fortune on your Scurion and still had to modify it" etc etc, nothing in the following takes away from the fact that the Scurion is an epic piece of kit.

I have caved with mine now since the new year and decided to have a play with the lense as I just could not get on with the spot/spill ratio, just too harsh for me. I was looking for a slightly wider spot that faded gradually towards the edge, I looked all over the web for a replacement lense at the same size but to no avail. I ordered a load of Carlico optics to play with and they arrived the other day.

The Scurion ain't cheep so the overriding concern was that the modification was totally reversable with no engineering needed on the Scurion itself.

1st job: remove existing lense.
3414489330_365227ef36.jpg

I then modified a standard Carlico 20mm lense holder to sit against the circuit board and glued 3 small plastic stems to hold the assembly in place when the glass is screwed back on. This was easy and just took a little time with a stanley knife and a nail file to get it just right.
3414489714_3c7aec0797.jpg

Fitted inside the Scurion body:
3413687725_6ae97156f3.jpg

Next I filed the stems to make them fit perfectly:
3413686287_b5f84479cc.jpg

I have initially chosen a frosted lense that gives a 10-12 deg spot and has a nice fade toward the edge so it blends seemlessly with the spill LED. The brightness does not compare with the original spot as the lense the Scurion boys use is very good. The increased angle of the beam has reduce the brightness but it does still hold up against a Nova+/Duo 14.
One advantage of this system is that I can simply unplug the lense and swap it for another at any time if I want a change. I do have a Carlico lense with a much tighter beam but it is too similar to the original to be of use to me.
3413684477_2746132a7a.jpg

All finally assembled:
3413688935_49c9f462f1.jpg

The whole job took about an hour and cost me a couple of quid. I'm yet to test it underground but will try to get a beam shot or two up soon. Best thing about it is that there was no need to adapt the Scurion itself and the whole lense assembly could be removed and returned to its original state in minutes.