Giants

Stu

approx. 6 metres in from the entrance, just after a small concrete step, is a 3 m climb up on the right. its not on the survey. poked my head up through some tight sections for about 20m's but ran out of time/bottle/enthusiasm. wheres it go?

bubba

Administrator
Not sure about that - Caves of the Peak District says:

Large stream passage leads after 30m to a short climb into the roof where Upper West Passage can be followed to the right, walking and crawling for 100m, blocked at the end. Also to the left Upper East Passage is a crawl for 94m to a blockage - a grade 2 sporting trip for beginners...

Neither of which particularly sound like your one - were you at the end or did it appear to keep going?

We had a nice trip to the East Canal and back via the Windpipe on Thursday night with a keen novice - I always forget what a great bit of cave Giant's is.

Stu

its well before the upper passages. i was on my way out from them yesterday (saturday) when i noticed the climb up on the left (on way out). must have passed it loads and never given it any thought cos it really is that close to the entrance so i suppose my mind is else where at that point.

SamT

I really dont think it goes anywhere of note. It will have been looked at by hundreds no doubt.

we spent some time messing about in the maze of crawls at roof level in the entrance series of giants a while back. I would love to know what the place looked like before it was blasted. It was reputed to be a hardcore trip.

bubba

Administrator
Yeah, didnt' there used to be a hideous duck on the way in or something?

I agree though, I find it unlikely that anything so near the entrance goes anywhere much, but hey, it's all got to be looked at.

BTW - that door into the hill near Giants might be Christmas Swallet but the description doesn't mention a door, so could it be something else?

bubba

Administrator
Shame that that stal in the piccie is now broken - Sam pointed it out to me the other night.