DistoXtra Safe

SamT

How to protect your DistoX from 'accidents' and STDs (Soggy Trashed Distos)

3779149904_8f0ee9f24f.jpg

:LOL: actually works really well.

Next mod is to get a glass microscope slide - cut it to size and smooth off the edges and neatly tape it over the end (I've tested the disto through glass and it doesn't seem to affect the measurements).

Should protect the lens too then.  Still got to be careful with them though eh!

S

SLP

Sam, I take it you now own a A3 and that wasn't mine you stuck inside one of your condoms?

footleg

graham said:
SLP said:
Sam, I take it you now own a A3 and that wasn't mine you stuck inside one of your condoms?

I'm sure he would have rinsed it out thoroughly first.

Yeah, there is nothing worse than finding grit off your DistoX has got left in your condoms.  :doubt:

SamT

:LOL:

Not your A3 SLP (you should have that back a long time ago :-\)

- its simon brooks  :LOL:

thoroughly cleaned off - though my missus looked rather disturbed when I unrolled it over an aerosol can and began lathering it in hand soap  :blink:

SamT

Got a glass slide and it fits perfectly width wise - just needs a trim along one end (easy done by scoring with diamond pen and a neat snap).

Neatly taped over end and hey presto, one splash proof, mud proof distoX  ;)

arturconrad

Hi Guys,

Good thinking! I wish I had known earlier that distos are not splashproof.... :cautious:
I took A3 for my first surveying trip into a 'not so dry cave' and that was it's last trip....
Bit of moisture got under the screen, it was still working perfectly but the problems started the next day (despite of drying): now it still works (kind of) but takes the measurements randomly - by which I mean the correct lengths but only every 4-7th   
press of the button. At the beginning I thought it was some kind of mechanical damage to the button but it's the same one that turns the disto on and this function  always works at the first press so it must be something else.....

Do you know is there Anything that could be done with it? Is it repairable?

cheers

Artur

graham

They should be "splashproof", except for the hole in the back for a tripod screw, but Artur's idea of "not so dry" is, I suspect, somewhat more hardcore than for most of us.

arturconrad

graham said:
They should be "splashproof", except for the hole in the back for a tripod screw, but Artur's idea of "not so dry" is, I suspect, somewhat more hardcore than for most of us.

I swear, there was no diving involved :cry: , just swimming and wading deep'ish water and we really tried to be very careful with it. Apparently not enough...

kdxn

I have a contact at OtterBox and have asked them whether their 1900 box could be fitted out for DistoX use.

Hope to get a favorable answer and will let you know.

kdxn

Contact at Otterbox has responded negatively. He has passed on our needs to the engineering team especially after I outlined how expensive the bigger Distos are and that there is no 'proper' waterproof case for them. This being said, I do not expect any solution soon and if it does, it will be for the modern Distos and not the previous generation which included the A3.

I have a Pelican 1010 clear case and have tested the DistoX measuring through the polycarbonate without effecting the range. Unfortunately this box is too short and the ends do not lend themselves to using the DistoX inside, otherwise I would have considered the longer Peli 1020 case.

My intention now is to get an Otterbox 1900 and modify the top end to create a flat recessed polycarbonate top for the DistoX to measure out of. There are metal parts to the clasps and hinge so I expect the calibration will need to be done inside the box. Alternatively the metal parts are replaced with brass or marine grade bronze to avoid this issue. Options that may also be considered are integration of a recessed IP68 switch in the case to fire the DistoX as there were reports at Hidden Earth about worn out keypads on heavily used DistoX. Rechargeable battery pack via waterproof connector could be considered but Beet has reported magnetic variability with charge state, unknown which battery technology (NiMH ?). Some users report disposable Lithium AAA's lasting a year in DistoX so maybe not such a big issue to address.

Polycarbonate IP67/IP68 cases from distributors such as Farnell etc. tend to have non-clear bases and sides and limited size options. Will keep looking for something clear and DistoX size but nothing yet found.

Any other suggestions or ideas out there other than machining a clear plastic block and fixing an O ring sealed plate at one end ?

SamT

I thought about trying to find an old mobile phone case, you know, tacky black leather, clear latex/plastic  area around the number pad, Would keep the worst of the sh*t off and keep the number pad from wearing out.

The ends are usually 'flip top' velcro, so you could flip it open for each reading, then close it to provide a bit of protection for the lens.

However, then I came up (pfnar) with the johnny/glass microscope slide solution and tbh, that works incredibly well.

kdxn

Otterbox did not work out so did some lateral thinking and I now have a DistoX in a 300ft rated waterproof case although I will not be testing it at 300ft water depth !

I suspect that the case is now somewhat compromised pressure wise as I had to remove an internal reinforcing strut but the switch and two 'o' rings are exactly the same as supplied. Yellow case is ABS, clear front is Lexan. Appears to be no different in distance measured by the DistoX. Laser spot can sometimes appear to be flared but does not effect range and main beam spot easy to distinguish. Have had to make some alterations
1. Removed outer red case of DistoX
2. Created new plastic rear end to keep batteries in and connected with springed strip.
3. Have soldered two wires to two Disto test pads near the keypad ribbon cable connector - these are the two pads for the 'On Dist' key.
4. These two wires have had a small inline connector added at their end.
5. Inside the yellow housing, have modified the black plastic to better hold the DistoX inside and soldered two wires to the waterproof cam switch which are soldered to an inline connector for connecting to the DistoX with sufficient wire length to allow the DistoX to be removed from the housing to change batteries.

Housing is slightly longer than original Disto housing so need to take this into consideration when measuring distances.
Biggest drawback is that you can not read the display yet ! You could cut a hole and glue weld a clear section of plastic so that the screen could be seen.
Switch is a bit awkward so you could add an alternative waterproof momentary button and silicon the two wires through the rotating switch axis after removing the original rotating switch.

The waterproof divers torch that I started with is the Tektite Trek400 which can be bought for ?26. An alternative option could be the Princeton Tec400 torch but I do not know if there is enough room for the DistoX guts inside this one.

Pictures would help to explain the above but how to get them on here ?

kdxn

Still having trouble uploading a picture.

Some other information for DistoX users.
1. Best to use single use Lithium Batteries such as Energizer offer. These should last many months unless you are using it daily...........
2. Insert the batteries and pack with paper inbetween to ensure they do not move in the battery compartment.
3. Use a permanent marker to mark the ends of the batteries uniquely so you know how they line up and can tell whether they have moved.
4. Best to calibrate at least every 6 months, after battery change and after battery movement.
5. Some reports from Germany suggest that wrapping the battery compartment with thin metal can reduce the effect of any battery movement effecting calibration.

kdxn

4033786801_a14f8020d1_m.jpg

Note I keep the black rubber boot on the front of the DistoX. This stops the metal case from scratching the lense when you screw it down. The black switch just visible at the top has three positions. Locked off, off and on. To operate the DistoX, you need to move from off to on and back to off - there is no springback momentary action. I have also kept the original 'C' battery springs inside the back of the yellow housing. These push the DistoX to the front and provide a bit of shock absorption.

Working on an option to replace the rotary switch with an IP68 rated momentary pushbutton with the wires siliconed through where the black rotary switch currently goes. However the pushbutton switch does not have a locked off position so intend to recess it.

Would be nice to see the display ! Option here is to cut a hole and glue weld a clear plastic window and move the display towards the back behind the lense screwthread.

Roger W

:(

but now  :)

Your picture has appeared!

One thing that caused me problems at first.  When you look at your pictures on Flickr, you will see the thumbnails.  Getting the URL/Address for one of these will put a little picture on UKCaving.  To get the full-size picture, click on the thumbnail in Flickr to get the big picture, then use the URL for that.

kdxn

Finally got a small waterproof polycarbonate case that fits and allows you to see the screen ! Just need to fit the waterproof switch to operate it and perhaps tape down the cam catch on the side to avoid accidents.
4101094486_1a299c08ab_b.jpg