Exporting survex passage tubes

Moose

Having added the LRUD's to the survex model you get a view of the 'passage tubes'.......

If you then export the .3d file to a .dxf it appears that the tube data is stripped. Is it possible to preserve the tube data through the export in order to access it in ACAD?

footleg

I am not aware of a means to export the LRUD data to autocad.

However, the Loch viewer (part of the Therion package) also displays the LRUD data on a 3D model from survex 3D files. This might support export? Or if not then the developers might be willing to add it (I suggested an enhancement to the viewer on the Therion list a while back and it was added within a week!).

Duncan

footleg said:
I am not aware of a means to export the LRUD data to autocad.

However, the Loch viewer (part of the Therion package) also displays the LRUD data on a 3D model from survex 3D files. This might support export? Or if not then the developers might be willing to add it (I suggested an enhancement to the viewer on the Therion list a while back and it was added within a week!).
My first thought was that it might be possible to run it through Therion.  A little mucking around with a simple test case reveals that Therion can output .dxf, and that it seems to be able to output passage dimensions if the dimensions are specified in Therion's own data format (which is very similar to, but not exactly the same as Survex format - the main differences are '#' instead of ';' for comments, no '*' at the beginning of commands, and the syntax for referring to stations within subsurveys is slightly different).  If the dimensions are specified in a Survex file and the resultant .3d file is imported into Therion, the dimensions do not get exported when you export to .dxf, but as Footleg notes the Loch viewer can read passage dimensions from the .3d file.  It might be worth your while to send a message to the Therion mailing list to enquire about the possibility of being able to export passage dimensions imported from a Survex .3d file. Alternatively you could convert your data to Therion format (which I admit is a slightly tedious process, although the formats are similar enough that much of it can be automated - Olly Betts wrote a Perl script that will do much of the work for you: go to http://therion.speleo.sk/downloads/mlarchive.txt and search for svx2th).

Duncan

Moose

Interesting.... Given the advice above it's provided me with food for thought.

There appears to be more than one possibility, which is always good. The best option is going to be for the software to automatically export the LRUD data, so I will intially get on to the developers.

Will keep the forum posted on progress.