Putwell Hill Mine sealed by Peak Park Authority

JB

In case you were contemplating a trip into Putwell Hill Mine you'll have to think again. Went there this evening (26th October 2005) and the stope entrance has been concreted over sometime in the last couple of weeks. Big concrete slabs. They've left a gap so bats can fly in but you can't fit a caver through. The adit entrance near the footpath has been sealed for some time.

There's rumours of another entrance somewhere in undergrowth but no-one seems to know exactly where it is. Friend is planning to go back in the light to have a look for this mystery entrance but if anyone has any ideas that would be splendid.

Did anyone know that the entrance was going to be sealed? DCA didn't know owt about it.

D

Deep-Penetration

JB said:
Friend is planning to go back in the light to have a look for this mystery entrance....

Fair enough, but just be aware that this is a very sensitive area, the cave lies on land owned by the Chatsworth Estate therefore requires written permission from the estate before undertaking a trip there, i know a lot of hassle has been created in the past by groups going there without permission, and many people have encountered an employee from the the estate who lives near the bridge at Upperdale who takes a firm approach to cavers in the area.

I was in the area yesterday, and had a walk on the adjacent footpath, and indeed it appears to be now completely closed and i don't know weather another entrance exists or not?

I'll ask around and see what i can find out.

Tim

AndyF

I've been there and had no idea that access was restricted, I see from the HnH web site that it is.. Ooops!

It would be a shame if access were/is unavailable, because it's quite an interesting place, with a nice little pitch. Quite a good novice trip.

I agree with the comment that finding a new entrance is not really the answer, and is likely to cause more trouble.

Was it the estate or Peak Park that actullay did the blocking up..?

D

Deep-Penetration

AndyF said:
Was it the estate or Peak Park that actullay did the blocking up..?
Not sure yet, I've contacted the DCA to find out but haven't heard back yet?

i'll post as and when i do.

Tim

paul

The DCA Access team are aware of the situation and are trying to find out what the story is.

Mark

I think there used to be another shaft entrance further up the hillside but it is pretty grotty, I personally dont think blocking the entrance is a big deal, in a place as popular as this it was a little too inviting, if you are into this sort of trip there are loads of alternatives all over the peak, Stoney Middleton etc.
I suggest you look elsewhere for your entertainment and dont upset an allready sensitive landowner

AndyF

Mark said:
.. I personally dont think blocking the entrance is a big deal, in a place as popular as this it was a little too inviting, if you are into this sort of trip there are loads of alternatives all over the peak, Stoney Middleton etc.

I don't really agree with this. I think that caving access should be maintained wherever possible, too many sites get lost and the loss tends to be permanent.

I think this is quite a nice mine, and it impresses novices without being difficult or hazardous. It's a shame if it is lost for good.

I don't think alternative entrances should be used however, to bypass a restriction, that can escalate the problem.

If it is a Chatsworth estate property, they do not allow access elsewhere AFAIK.